1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two capacitive spheres separated by dielectric, ratio of radii for lowest electric fi

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It's desired to build a capacitor which has two concentric spheres separated by a dielectric of high permittivity, low loss, and high dielectric strength. Calculate the ratio of sphere b's radius to sphere a's radius which produces the lowest electric field between the spheres.

Not sure how to start this one. Thank you for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
    Re: Two capacitive spheres separated by dielectric, ratio of radii for lowest electri

I do know, from Wikipedia, that concerning concentric spheres, Cap = 4 (pi) ε / ( (1 /a) - (1/b) )

5. Jul 18, 2012 #4
    Re: Two capacitive spheres separated by dielectric, ratio of radii for lowest electri

So what Ive done on this problem so far is
    C=[4pi(epsilon nought)][(ab)/(b-a)]
    and
    V=(Q/[4pi(epsilon nought)])(b-a)/(ab)
    and plug it in Q=CV
    i just get Q=Q

Conceptually
    from E=kq/r^2 as the radius goes up the E field goes down
    so the ratio from B to a would approach infinity or
    A should be much less then A?

6. Jul 18, 2012 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The electric field E = V/d where d is the distance between the plates.

7. Jul 18, 2012 #6

Alright, but you eventually get E = Q / (4 * pi * ε * a * b) ; so how would you get a ratio from that from b to a ?

8. Jul 19, 2012 #7

You failed me Physics Forums; here is the scanned answer from my professor's solution set given to us after the test; I hope that this will help someone else out there; Make of it what you will; his handwriting is kind of hard to read

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/Xinthose/scan0002.jpg

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/Xinthose/scan0003.jpg [Broken]

or if you prefer to see it on the forum

page 1
    scan0002.jpg
    page 2
    scan0003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook