Calculating Potential Difference in Parallel and Series Capacitor Combinations

• Thread starter sodaboy7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary: Q on one plate and -Q on the other, and they are connected in parallel, what is the potential across each one?In summary, two capacitors with values of 4μf and 12μf are connected in parallel across a 12V battery. When they are then connected in parallel with the positive side of one capacitor to the negative side of the other, the resulting potential difference is found to be 3.50V. This can be calculated using the equations Cparallel=C1+C2 and 1/Cseries=1/C1+1/C2. The final charge on each capacitor will be equal, with one having +72μC and -24μC and
sodaboy7

Homework Statement

Two capacitors C1=4μf, C2= 12μf are connected in parallel across 12V battery. Then they are collected in parallel, with positive side of one capacitor to the negative side of the other. Find the resulting potential difference.

Answer (as on back-pages): 3.50V

Homework Equations

Cparallel= C1 + C2
1/Cseries= 1/C1 + 1/C2

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly they are connected parallel and equivalent capacitance is 16μf and total charge is 192μC (144 + 48). Then they are connected in a combination which is as good as series hence now charges on each capacitor will be same also net capacitance is 3μf.
3*10^(-6)*V= 192*10^(-6) = 64V (not working!)

Physics news on Phys.org
sodaboy7 said:

Homework Statement

Two capacitors C1=4μf, C2= 12μf are connected in parallel across 12V battery. Then they are collected in parallel, with positive side of one capacitor to the negative side of the other. Find the resulting potential difference.

Answer (as on back-pages): 3.50V

Homework Equations

Cparallel= C1 + C2
1/Cseries= 1/C1 + 1/C2

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly they are connected parallel and equivalent capacitance is 16μf and total charge is 192μC (144 + 48). Then they are connected in a combination which is as good as series hence now charges on each capacitor will be same also net capacitance is 3μf.
3*10^(-6)*V= 192*10^(-6) = 64V (not working!)

When a capacitor is charged with some charge q, it gets +q on one plate and -q on the other. When you flip one capacitor over before reconnecting them, the negatively charged plate of each capacitor is connected to the positively charged plate of the other. What happens to + and - charges when they meet?

When you have only two components making up the entire circuit you have a choice of considering them to be connected in series or in parallel. For this problem you should consider that the capacitors are in parallel; It makes the solution more direct. :wink:

gneill said:
What happens to + and - charges when they meet?

When you have only two components making up the entire circuit you have a choice of considering them to be connected in series or in parallel. For this problem you should consider that the capacitors are in parallel; It makes the solution more direct. wink:
According to me the charges will move along the circuit to attend electrostatic equilibrium. But that is not helping me in getting correct answer. Moreover in parallel +ve plate of one capacitor is connected to +ve plate of other and here its exactly opposite. Help me to rectify my conceptual mistake.

You didn't address the question: "What happens to + and - charges when they meet?"

Whether or not two components are connected in parallel has nothing to do with their charges or polarity; it's a matter of physical connections. Two components are connected in parallel if they share exactly two nodes. Any charges will sort themselves out via Kirchhoff!

Sorry but I tried my best to go for this but i am unable to answer it. I even reread the chapter again. And when + and - meet potential difference is created. But i m still not getting answer.

sodaboy7 said:
Sorry but I tried my best to go for this but i am unable to answer it. I even reread the chapter again. And when + and - meet potential difference is created. But i m still not getting answer.

When + and - are separated a potential difference is created. Suppose you have a small conductive object charged with +2Q and you add -2Q to it. What's the net charge?

This means that the net charge on the plates connected must be zero. Which implies that charge on both the capacitors must be equal i.e half of the net charge that was stored in both of them when charged through 12V. Am I right ??

sodaboy7 said:
This means that the net charge on the plates connected must be zero. Which implies that charge on both the capacitors must be equal i.e half of the net charge that was stored in both of them when charged through 12V. Am I right ??

No, that's not quite right.

In this case the initial charges on each capacitor are different (what are they?). When the charges on the plates that are interconnected meet, equal amounts of positive and negative charges will meet and cancel, but there will be some charge left over. The remaining charges will spread themselves appropriately across the plates.

Yes, originally capacitors had different charges i.e 144 and 48 (in microC). Now equal charges will cancel out and remaining charges will be 144-48 = 96. Right ??

sodaboy7 said:
Yes, originally capacitors had different charges i.e 144 and 48 (in microC). Now equal charges will cancel out and remaining charges will be 144-48 = 96. Right ??

Right. So this remaining 96 μC will distribute itself across the two capacitors in the usual fashion -- note that you'll have just positive charges left on one pair of connected plates, and just negative ones left on the other pair.

You should be in a position to determine the potential across the combined capacitors.

This 96microC will distribute according to capacitance ratio as 72 and 24. One capacitor will have +72 & -24 and other will have +24 & -72. But its not getting me to Potential of 3.5V. How to proceed ??

sodaboy7 said:
This 96microC will distribute according to capacitance ratio as 72 and 24. One capacitor will have +72 & -24 and other will have +24 & -72. But its not getting me to Potential of 3.5V. How to proceed ??

No, individual capacitors will have the same magnitude of charge on both plates. When we say that a capacitor has a charge Q, it means that it has a charge +Q on one of its plates and -Q on the other -- they are always exactly balanced. In this case there was +96 μC available to distribute between the two capacitors on one pair of connected plates, and -96 μC on the other connected pair; That's what charge cancellation left over on the connected pairs.

So in other words, one capacitor has a 24 μC charge and the other capacitor has a 72 μC charge.

What's the formula relating capacitor charge to potential difference (voltage) on that capacitor? What's the voltage on each capacitor?

Its V=Q/C. The voltage one each capacitor will be 6V assuming that 72microC is the charge on 12microF capacitor.

sodaboy7 said:
Its V=Q/C. The voltage one each capacitor will be 6V assuming that 72microC is the charge on 12microF capacitor.

That looks good!

gneill said:
That looks good!

As both the capacitors have 6V. The potential difference is 0V. But the correct answer is 3.5V which is nowhere near my analysis.

sodaboy7 said:
As both the capacitors have 6V. The potential difference is 0V. But the correct answer is 3.5V which is nowhere near my analysis.

No, the potential on both is 6V and they are in parallel which means they have the same voltage. The answer is 6V. If your answer key says 3.5 V, then the answer key is wrong --- probably a result of someone changing the principle values in the question but failing to update the answer key.

You should make yourself a drawing depicting the sequence of events that occur and which charges cancel and what remains where in order convince yourself that both capacitors end up with the same potential difference which is oriented in the same direction.

Thanks.

Thanks.

1. What is the "Two Capacitors Problem"?

The "Two Capacitors Problem" is a physics problem that involves two capacitors connected in series or parallel, and their resulting capacitance and charge.

2. How do I solve the "Two Capacitors Problem"?

To solve the "Two Capacitors Problem", you will need to use the equations for capacitance and charge, and apply them to the specific configuration of capacitors in the problem. You may also need to use Kirchhoff's laws to analyze the circuit.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel capacitors in the "Two Capacitors Problem"?

In series capacitors, the capacitors are connected end-to-end, resulting in a smaller total capacitance and the same charge on each capacitor. In parallel capacitors, the capacitors are connected side-by-side, resulting in a larger total capacitance and the same voltage across each capacitor.

4. Can a "Two Capacitors Problem" have more than two capacitors?

Yes, a "Two Capacitors Problem" can have more than two capacitors. The same principles of series and parallel capacitors apply, and you may need to use more complex equations and analysis methods.

5. What real-world applications does the "Two Capacitors Problem" have?

The "Two Capacitors Problem" has many real-world applications, including in electronic circuits, power grids, and energy storage systems. It is also relevant in understanding the behavior of capacitors in more complex systems.