Calculating Speed & Kinetic Energy of Two Cars Colliding

• Thread starter dj_killer_lamb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, two cars with a mass of 2000kg each are traveling to the right at 30 m/s and 10 m/s respectively. If they collide and stick together, their speed after the collision will be 20 m/s. The initial kinetic energy of the cars is 1,000,000 J, but the final kinetic energy after the collision is 1,600,000 J. This means that there is a gain of kinetic energy, which may be due to errors in the calculations.
dj_killer_lamb
A 2000kg car traveling to the right at 30 m/s is chasing a second car of the same mass that is traveling to the right at 10 m/s

1) if the two cars collide and stick together, what is their speed after the collision?
2) What fraction of the initial kinetic energy of the cars is lost during this collision?

Ok so I'm pretty sure I've got the first question answered using the formula for calculating momentum (Momentum = Mass * Velocity) but I'm having a bit of trouble answering question 2. The collision should result in a loss of kinetic energy but I've come up with an answer that says it has gained kinetic energy :S.

Here is the work I have done thus far:

1) Momentum Before = (2000kg * 30m/s) + (2000kg * 10m/s)
= 80, 000 kg m/s

therefore V after = (Momentum1 + Momentum2)/(Mass1 + Mass2)
= 80,000kg m/s / 4000kg
= 20m/s

2) KE1 = 1/2 MV^2
= 1/2 2000 * 30^2
= 900,000 J

KE2 = 1/2 MV^2
= 1/2 2000 * 10^2
= 100,000 J

Therefore total initial KE = 1,000,000 J

Therefore KE after = 1/2 (m1 + m2) * (total velocity)
= 1/2 8000 * 20
= 1,600,000 J

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dj_killer_lamb said:
Therefore KE after = 1/2 (m1 + m2) * (total velocity)
= 1/2 8000 * 20
= 1,600,000 J

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This doesn't look correct for the sum of the masses of the two vehicles.

yea perfect til the last few lines, the square of velocity was dropped as well. plus the math went awry, even if the terms were wrong.

LOL! arrrg of course! I don't know where that 8000 came from! Thanks heaps :)

Thanks a lot guys, i nailed my spoken today...would have taken me forever to pick up on those errors!

1. How do you calculate the speed of a car in a collision?

To calculate the speed of a car in a collision, you will need to know the mass of the car and the change in its velocity during the collision. The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance/time. You can determine the distance traveled by the car during the collision by measuring the skid marks or using other evidence from the scene. The time can be calculated by dividing the distance by the change in velocity. Once you have these values, you can use the formula to calculate the speed of the car.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity in a car collision?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity includes the direction of motion. In a car collision, both speed and velocity are important factors to consider. The speed of a car can help determine the force of impact, while the velocity can indicate the direction of the collision and the angle at which the cars collided.

3. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of two cars colliding?

The kinetic energy of a car is determined by its mass and velocity. To calculate the kinetic energy of two cars colliding, you will need to know the mass and velocity of each car. The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. Once you have calculated the kinetic energy of both cars, you can add them together to determine the total kinetic energy of the collision.

4. Can you determine the force of impact in a car collision?

Yes, the force of impact in a car collision can be determined using the formula F = mΔv/t, where m is the mass of the car, Δv is the change in velocity, and t is the time of the collision. This calculation can help determine the severity of the collision and the potential damage to the cars and occupants involved.

5. What other factors should be considered when calculating the speed and kinetic energy of a car collision?

In addition to the mass and velocity of the cars, other factors that should be considered when calculating the speed and kinetic energy of a car collision include the angle of impact, the type of collision (head-on, rear-end, etc.), and the condition of the road and weather at the time of the collision. These factors can all affect the force of impact and the resulting damage from the collision.