Two-Dimensional Elastic Collision

In summary, the conversation discusses a two-dimensional elastic collision between two objects on a frictionless surface. It is mentioned that the angles these objects make with each other in these types of collisions is always 90º. The conversation then explores different methods for finding the final velocity of each object, with one method being simpler than the other. It is later clarified that this method only works if one object is initially stationary and both objects have the same mass. The conversation concludes by mentioning the use of momentum components in finding the final velocities.
Chetlin
(This isn't homework help, but it's something that's been on my homework (and other places in my mechanics class)...I don't know if it belongs here or in the homework section. If I'm wrong, sorry -_-)

I've had a few questions now in class about a two-dimensional elastic collision between two objects on a frictionless surface, and I noticed something on accident. What I did worked both times but I'm not sure if it will always work.

Let's say you have an object sliding across the surface horizontally at speed [itex]v_i[/itex]. It collides elastically with another object with the same mass. The first object then moves at an angle of 25º (25º above the horizontal) and the other object moves at an angle of -65º (65º below the horizontal). I read that the angles these objects make with each other in these kinds of collisions is always 90º, which may be why this works.

The questions then ask you to find the final speed of each object. If you do the math, break it up into components etc. you get, letting [itex]\theta_1 = 25^{\circ}[/itex] and [itex]\theta_2 = -65^{\circ}[/itex] and [itex]v_{1_f}[/itex] be the final velocity of the first object and [itex] v_{2_f}[/itex] being the final velocity of the second object, [tex]v_{2_f} = \frac{v_i}{\cos{\theta_2}-\sin{\theta_2}\cot{\theta_1}}[/tex] and [tex]v_{1_f} = \frac{-v_{2_f} \sin{\theta_2}}{\sin{\theta_1}}[/tex]. But I noticed just from playing around that [tex]v_{1_f} = v_i \cos{\theta_1} [/tex] and [tex] v_{2_f} = v_i \cos{\theta_2} [/tex] which is much simpler.

Even though I'm a math major it's been a long time since I've done trigonometric identities so I've forgotten many of them, but this looks hard to work with anyway. But does anyone know why this is true (if it even really is)? Does it have something to do with the fact that the angle difference is 90º or something to do with the motion relative to the center of mass?

Thanks a lot :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Chetlin! :smile:

It only works if one object is initially stationary, and if both have the same mass …

u = v + (M/m)V

u2 = v2 + (M/m)V2

so if M/m = 1, then by squaring you get v.V = 0 :wink:

(and if you know v.V = 0, then taking components of momentum along v or V gives you those cos formulas)

1. What is a two-dimensional elastic collision?

A two-dimensional elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy before and after the collision are the same.

2. How is the momentum conserved in a two-dimensional elastic collision?

In a two-dimensional elastic collision, the total momentum of the system (both objects) before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the system after the collision. This is because momentum is a vector quantity and its direction is conserved in the collision.

3. What is the difference between a two-dimensional elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the kinetic energy is not conserved and some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound. In a two-dimensional elastic collision, the kinetic energy is conserved and there is no loss of energy.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities of the objects in a two-dimensional elastic collision?

The final velocities of the objects can be calculated using the equations of conservation of momentum and kinetic energy. These equations take into account the masses and initial velocities of the objects as well as the angles at which they collide.

5. What are some real-life examples of two-dimensional elastic collisions?

Examples of two-dimensional elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two cars colliding head-on with each other, or particles colliding in a particle accelerator. These collisions demonstrate conservation of momentum and kinetic energy in real-world scenarios.