Torque Calculation for Restoring Angular Speed of Two Disks

In summary, a large uniform circular disk of radius R = 0.200 m and mass M = 1.00 kg rotates at an angular speed wo = 10.0 radians/second on a frictionless pivot. When a smaller disk with half the radius and made of the same material is dropped onto the larger disk, the two eventually reach a common angular speed due to friction. The final angular speed is 9.4 rad/s and the fraction of initial rotational kinetic energy converted to heat is 0.0588. To restore the original angular speed, a motor must supply a torque of .0913092394 Nm. The possible discrepancy in the final torque calculation may be due to rounding errors.
amcavoy
A uniform circular disk of radius R = 0.200 m and mass M = 1.00 kg rotates with angular speed wo = 10.0 radians/second on a frictionless pivot. A second disk, having half the radius of the first and made of the same material, is supported at rest a small distance above the first disk. When the small disk is dropped concentrically onto the larger disk, friction eventually causes the disks to reach a common angular speed.

What is the final angular speed?

I came up with 9.4 rad/s, which is correct.

What fraction of the initial rotational kinetic energy is converted to heat in the process?

I came up with .0588, which is also correct.

A motor must restore the angular speed of the combination to wo in one revolution. What torque must the motor supply ?

I used the equation [itex]\tau=I\alpha[/itex] here. I added each moment of inertia (for each disk individually):

[tex]I=I_1+I_2=.02125[/tex]

The above I got using the standard formula for the moment of inertia for a disk (1/2)mr2.

Now I found the acceleration:

[tex]10^2=9.4^2+2\alpha\left(2\pi\right)\implies\alpha=.926\text{rad}/\text{sec}^2[/tex]

Then I multiplied the acceleration by the moment of inertia to come up with:

[tex]\tau=.0197\text{Nm}[/tex]

...however the above is incorrect. Could someone please tell me why? I have gone through my steps many times, meaning that the only way this could be wrong is if I took the wrong steps; my arithmetic is fine. I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
your procedure is correct ... your final solution for tau does have some round-off error in it from rounding the final omega from the 1st part of the problem ... 9.4 rad/s.

If you don't round, you should get tau = .0913092394 Nm

If this is an on-line problem that is machine graded, that could be the reason.

Thank you very much. It's nice to know my problem was in rounding digits rather than my procedure (it is web-based homework by the way).

Thanks again.

Related to Torque Calculation for Restoring Angular Speed of Two Disks

What is the moment of inertia of two disks?

The moment of inertia of two disks refers to the measure of the resistance of the disks to rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass and distribution of the mass of the disks.

How is the moment of inertia of two disks calculated?

The moment of inertia of two disks can be calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia of each disk. The formula for moment of inertia is I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius of the disk.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of two disks?

The moment of inertia of two disks is affected by the mass and distribution of mass of the disks, as well as the distance between the two disks and their axis of rotation. The shape and size of the disks also play a role in determining the moment of inertia.

How does the moment of inertia of two disks affect their rotational motion?

The moment of inertia of two disks affects their rotational motion by determining how much torque or rotational force is required to start or stop their rotation. A larger moment of inertia means more force is required to change the disks' rotational velocity.

What are some real-life applications of the moment of inertia of two disks?

The concept of moment of inertia of two disks is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is important in designing machines and structures that involve rotational motion, such as engines, wheels, and turbines. It is also relevant in understanding the dynamics of rotational motion in sports like ice skating, figure skating, and gymnastics.