1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two distinguishable particles space-spin wavefunctions

1. Dec 30, 2004 #1

Two (distinguishable) non-interacting electrons are in an infinite square well with hard walls at x=0 and x=a, so that the one particle states are
    [tex]\phi_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}} sin(\frac{n\pi}{a}x), E_n=n^2K[/tex] where [tex]K=\pi^2\hbar^2/(2ma^2)[/tex]

My question is what are the spins and space-spin wavefunctions for the state with the lowest two energy eigenvalues?

The answer for the ground system is:

[tex] S=0[/tex]

[tex]\phi_1(x_1,x_2)=\frac{2}{L} sin(\frac{\pi x_1}{L}) sin(\frac{\pi x_2}{L}) * \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (\chi_{up}(1)\chi_{down}(2) - \chi_{down}(1) \chi_{up}(2)) [/tex]

(the first part denotes the space wave function, the second part denotes the spin wavefunction)

[tex] E = 2 K[/tex] where
    [tex] K = \frac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2mL^2}[/tex]

Is this becuase since the wavefunction is symmetric, the spin wavefunction must be antinsymmetric (singlet). Therefore, the electrons are in opposite spins and S=0. However, I'm confused about how to find the spin-state of the non-ground system. I know that S=1 and it must be a symmetric configuration but there are three of them. How do I know which one it is in?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2005 #2
    If I well understood, you have a state with a given energy but three different wave functions (a degenerate state). Then, the system reaches all these states with a certain probability. The total wave function will be a linear combination of those three functions:

The system can be found in one of its degenerate state with a PROBABILITY given by coefficients c1, c2 and c3.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?