1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two electricity problems

1. Mar 12, 2006 #1
    Hi, I don't get how to do this at all because I missed the lesson so could someone please help me? I appreciate it a lot!

First problem:

a) if the switch closes, what is i1? i1 is current at that position

b) graph v2 versus t graph

c) after a long time, if the switch opens, what is i2?

d) calculate Q (charge) of the capacitor

e) calculate U (potential energy) of the capacitor

Second problem:

There is a capacitor with two plates with very large surface area. They are set d distance apart and have equal but opposite charge densities.

a) diagram the current through the plates (no idea how to do this).

b) If a dielectric is added, does the electric potential increase, decrease, or stay the same? What mechanism causes this effect? (I think it goes down because of the q=cv formula but i dunno what mechanism).

Thanks a lot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

I honestly don't know how much you know and how much you don't know due to this 'missed lesson'. If you missed a lesson, you should get some sort of help or read up on your own. You would just be copying blindly otherwise.
  4. Mar 12, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

Indicated current (I) flows from + side of battery, along the wires, to the - side of the battery. At a capacitor, the + charges accumulate on the + plate, and the E-field from them chases (the same number of) charges off the - plate.

As the current flows through a resistor, charges lose PE (friction-dominated), according to dV = I R .

Now, at time t=0, what is the potential difference across the capacitor?

question 2 part a : there is an E-field between the plates, but NO current.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?