What Determines the Meeting Point of Two Falling Stones?

In summary: You are using 26.1m as the "falling distance" for the first stone (which is why you set Xf1 = -4.9t^2). But the problem states that the first stone falls 100m. You are using the wrong value for the falling distance, which is why you are getting the wrong value for the time.In summary, a stone is dropped from rest from the roof of a 100-m high building and 2.00 s later, a second stone is thrown with initial speed v0. The second stone passes the first stone 21.6 m above ground. The stones are at the same height when the first stone has fallen 73.9 m and the second stone has
Ab17

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped from rest from the roof of a 100-m high building; 2.00 s after that, a second stone is thrown straight down with initial speed v0, and the second stone passes the first stone 21.6 m above ground. (a) When are the stones at the same height? (b) What was the initial speed, v0, of the second stone, in m/s? (c) What are the speeds of the two stones, in m/s, just before they hit the ground?

h= 100m
h(meet)= 26.1m
V1i= 0m/s

Homework Equations

Xf=Xi +Vt +0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a). Xf1= -4.9t^2
Xf2 = Vo(t-2) -4.9(t-2)^2
-73.1 = -4.9t^2

(b). -73.1 = Vo(1.86) -4.9(1.86)^2
Vo = 30.19 m/s

(c). Vf = Vi + at
Vf = 0 -9.8(3.86)
Vf = 37.83 m/s

Vf= 30.19 -9.8(1.86)
Vf= 48.42m/s

Am I right? Not sure if I am

Physics news on Phys.org
Ab17 said:

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped from rest from the roof of a 100-m high building; 2.00 s after that, a second stone is thrown straight down with initial speed v0, and the second stone passes the first stone 21.6 m above ground. (a) When are the stones at the same height? (b) What was the initial speed, v0, of the second stone, in m/s? (c) What are the speeds of the two stones, in m/s, just before they hit the ground?

h= 100m
h(meet)= 26.1m
V1i= 0m/s

Homework Equations

Xf=Xi +Vt +0.5at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(a). Xf1= -4.9t^2
Xf2 = Vo(t-2) -4.9(t-2)^2
-73.1 = -4.9t^2
You don't give the time, although the next entry seems to have used the correct time.

(b). -73.1 = Vo(1.86) -4.9(1.86)^2
Vo = 30.19 m/s

(c). Vf = Vi + at
Vf = 0 -9.8(3.86)
Vf = 37.83 m/s

Vf= 30.19 -9.8(1.86)
Vf= 48.42m/s

Am I right? Not sure if I am
You calculated the speed of the both stones at 21.6 m above the ground.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I found slightly different values. For time, t = 4s, and initial speed V0 = 29,4. Are you sure about your results?

ramzerimar said:
I could be wrong, but I found slightly different values. For time, t = 4s, and initial speed V0 = 29,4. Are you sure about your results?
I think you're right.

I didn't even think to check the distances OP came up with.

100 - 21.6 = 78.4, not 73.1

If it's supposed to be 26.1,
then 100 - 26.1 = 73.9, not 73.1

Something isn't adding up here:
Ab17 said:
100-m high building

Ab17 said:
21.6 m above ground

Ab17 said:
h(meet)= 26.1m

Ab17 said:

@Ab17 double check your computation in (a).

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object that is only affected by the force of gravity. This means that the object is not being acted upon by any other forces, such as air resistance or friction.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its free fall?

The mass of an object does not affect its free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate due to gravity.

3. Is free fall the same as constant acceleration?

Yes, free fall is a type of constant acceleration. This means that the object's velocity increases by the same amount every second, due to the constant force of gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect free fall?

Air resistance can affect the speed and motion of an object in free fall. If an object is falling through a fluid, such as air, it will experience a buoyant force that opposes the force of gravity. This can cause the object to reach a terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, and the object stops accelerating.

5. Can two objects have different rates of free fall?

No, all objects in free fall accelerate towards the ground at the same rate. However, objects with different shapes or surface areas may experience different levels of air resistance, which can affect their motion as they fall.