Two Objects Sliding on a Frictionless Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of two objects of different masses sliding along a frictionless surface at the same speed and sliding off the same surface. The question is raised about which object will rise to a greater height, with one person suggesting that they will both reach the same height and another suggesting that the lighter object may go further due to having less force acting upon it. The experts ask for clarification on the scenario and request for the person to share their work so far.
FilthyOtis

Homework Statement

Well I figured out the first problem I had posted so here's a new one :)

If two objects of different masses are sliding along a frictionless surface at the same speed and they both slide of the same frictionless surface. which rises to a greater height?

I want to say they both go to the same height. or does the lighter of the two go further because it has less force acting upon it while going up the hill?

thank you- Otis

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FilthyOtis said:

Homework Statement

Well I figured out the first problem I had posted so here's a new one :)

If two objects of different masses are sliding along a frictionless surface at the same speed and they both slide of the same frictionless surface. which rises to a greater height?

I want to say they both go to the same height. or does the lighter of the two go further because it has less force acting upon it while going up the hill?

thank you

- Otis

Sorry, your question doesn't make sense to me. If they are sliding on a surface, how do they rise? Is there a tilt in the surface?

And what equations would you use to figure this out? There are several ways to approach it -- please show us some of your work using one of the approaches...

What FilthyOtis (feels weird saying that) was trying to say was:

FilthyOtis said:
... If two objects of different masses are sliding along a frictionless surface at the same speed and they both slide OFF the same frictionless surface. which rises to a greater height?...

I had to read it over about 4 times before figuring out it was a typo.

But yeah like berkeman said, post the work you've done so far so we could help you.

Related to Two Objects Sliding on a Frictionless Surface

1. What is a frictionless surface?

A frictionless surface is a hypothetical surface that has no resistance to motion. In other words, it is a surface where there is no force opposing the movement of an object.

2. How do two objects slide on a frictionless surface?

In a frictionless surface, two objects will slide without any resistance or friction between them. This means that the objects will continue to move at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What factors affect the motion of two objects sliding on a frictionless surface?

The motion of two objects sliding on a frictionless surface is only affected by external forces, such as gravity or applied forces. Other factors, such as surface texture or air resistance, do not have an impact on the motion of the objects.

4. Is it possible for two objects to collide on a frictionless surface?

Yes, it is possible for two objects to collide on a frictionless surface. However, the collision will not result in any change in the motion of the objects since there is no friction to transfer energy between the objects.

5. How is the conservation of energy applied in the motion of two objects on a frictionless surface?

The conservation of energy is applied in the motion of two objects on a frictionless surface because there is no energy lost due to friction. This means that the total energy of the system will remain constant throughout the motion of the objects.