Two port network model and analysis

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving finding a delay time in a line with given parameters.
polarmystery

Homework Statement

Greetings. I am having difficulty with a couple of parts to a homework problem. Mainly coming up with the transfer functions to plot V_o. See the picture for the problem statement:
[PLAIN]http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5481/problempa.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]l \leqq v_{ph}*T_{rise} / 10[/tex]

[tex] Z_o = Z_c = 75\Omega [/tex]

I've also included the model parameters for the two-port network:
[PLAIN]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1712/modelsz.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I found T_rise to be 6.66ns. I am able to calculate L and C for the line using the characteristic impedance equation from Z so L = 0.5*10^-6 H/m and C = 88.88*10^-12 F/m. I'm having difficulty with the transfer functions. I can find it for the 7 model:

[tex]\frac{1/LC}{s^2+s\frac{R}{L}+\frac{1}{LC}} = H(s) [/tex]

But not for the other two. Also. In order to plot Vo correctly, we have to incorporate a delay operator with the ramp function as such:

[tex]\frac{1-e^{sT_{rise}/0.8}}{T_{rise}/0.8} = D(s) [/tex]

So our final plot would be the step response (or ramp, as my colleagues and I think the professor wants) of D(s)*H(s).

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Other examples for this type of problem is very difficult to find on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about your various models, but it should be helpful to know the following: if an ideal transmission line is source-terminated in its characteristic impedance and the other end is open-circuited, there is no distortion of Vi at Vo. There is only a time-delay.

You can show this easily by using ABCD parameters for the resistor and for the line, then concatenating.

rude man said:
I don't know about your various models, but it should be helpful to know the following: if an ideal transmission line is source-terminated in its characteristic impedance and the other end is open-circuited, there is no distortion of Vi at Vo. There is only a time-delay.

You can show this easily by using ABCD parameters for the resistor and for the line, then concatenating.

I think that's what the problem is. We have to show that measured delay in the line with the given parameters.

I am addressing only your parts 4 and 5. The 2nd and 3rd are standard lumped-parameter exercises. Not sure about the first. I would have said there is no finite rise time that will repoduce exactly at the output with a lumped-parameter circuit.

The delay time is simply physical line length divided by phase velocity = 0.1/1.5e8 s.

Last edited:

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations for L and C. As for the transfer functions, you can use the given model parameters to find the transfer functions for the other two models. For the first model, you can use the equation for the input impedance (Zin) and the output impedance (Zout) to find the transfer function:

H(s) = \frac{Zin}{Zout} = \frac{R1 + sL1}{R2 + sL2}

Similarly, for the second model, you can use the equation for the voltage gain (Av) and the current gain (Ai) to find the transfer function:

H(s) = \frac{Av}{Ai} = \frac{R2 + sL2}{R1 + sL1}

Once you have these transfer functions, you can use them to plot Vo as you have mentioned. Just remember to use the delay operator (D(s)) as well.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is a two port network model?

A two port network model is a mathematical representation of a system that has two input and two output ports. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of complex electrical circuits and networks.

2. What is the purpose of analyzing a two port network?

The purpose of analyzing a two port network is to determine its input-output relationship, which can then be used to design and optimize circuits for specific applications. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the network under different conditions and in troubleshooting any issues that may arise.

3. What are the parameters used in two port network analysis?

The most commonly used parameters in two port network analysis are the input impedance, output impedance, voltage gain, and current gain. These parameters can be calculated using various techniques, such as the transmission matrix method or the Y-parameters method.

4. What are the applications of two port network analysis?

Two port network analysis has a wide range of applications in the field of electrical and electronic engineering, including signal processing, communication systems, power systems, and control systems. It is also used in the design of amplifiers, filters, and other electronic circuits.

5. What are the limitations of the two port network model?

The two port network model is based on certain assumptions, such as linearity and time-invariance, which may not hold true in all cases. It also does not take into account parasitic elements, such as capacitance and inductance, which can affect the network's behavior at high frequencies. Additionally, the two port network model is limited to linear circuits and cannot be used to analyze nonlinear circuits.