1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two port network model and analysis

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Greetings. I am having difficulty with a couple of parts to a homework problem. Mainly coming up with the transfer functions to plot V_o. See the picture for the problem statement:
    [PLAIN]http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5481/problempa.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]l \leqq v_{ph}*T_{rise} / 10[/tex]

[tex] Z_o = Z_c = 75\Omega [/tex]

I've also included the model parameters for the two-port network:
    [PLAIN]http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1712/modelsz.jpg [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

I found T_rise to be 6.66ns. I am able to calculate L and C for the line using the characteristic impedance equation from Z so L = 0.5*10^-6 H/m and C = 88.88*10^-12 F/m. I'm having difficulty with the transfer functions. I can find it for the 7 model:

[tex]\frac{1/LC}{s^2+s\frac{R}{L}+\frac{1}{LC}} = H(s) [/tex]

But not for the other two. Also. In order to plot Vo correctly, we have to incorporate a delay operator with the ramp function as such:

[tex]\frac{1-e^{sT_{rise}/0.8}}{T_{rise}/0.8} = D(s) [/tex]

So our final plot would be the step response (or ramp, as my colleagues and I think the professor wants) of D(s)*H(s).

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Other examples for this type of problem is very difficult to find on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know about your various models, but it should be helpful to know the following: if an ideal transmission line is source-terminated in its characteristic impedance and the other end is open-circuited, there is no distortion of Vi at Vo. There is only a time-delay.

You can show this easily by using ABCD parameters for the resistor and for the line, then concatenating.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    I think that's what the problem is. We have to show that measured delay in the line with the given parameters.

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am addressing only your parts 4 and 5. The 2nd and 3rd are standard lumped-parameter exercises. Not sure about the first. I would have said there is no finite rise time that will repoduce exactly at the output with a lumped-parameter circuit.

The delay time is simply physical line length divided by phase velocity = 0.1/1.5e8 s.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook