Two questions involving linear independence

In summary: Let's see. For any h, det(A) = 0, therefore det(A) = 0 for all h.So \exists (a, b, c) \neq (0, 0, 0) such that a v_1 + b v_2 + c v_3 = 0.Therefore the vectors v1, v2, v3 are dependent.[quote="math-user1"]Viet Dao,I am trying...Let's see. For any h, det(A) = 0, therefore det(A) = 0 for all h.So \exists (a, b, c) \neq (0, 0, 0) such that a v_1 + b
kant
How do you know if this:
| 0_-8_5|
|3_-7_4 |
|-1_5_-4|
| 1_-3_2|

a linearly independent set?

The answer at the back of the book say that it is independent, but obvious there are free variable in this matrix , thus imply a nontrival solution for AX=0, so it must be depend.

Let:

v( sub 1) =

|1 |
|-3|
|2 |

v( sub 2 ) =

|-3 |
|9 |
|-6 |

v( sub 3)

|5|
|-7|
|h |

for what value of h is v( sub 3) in Span{ V( sub 2), v( sub2)}?

for what of h is {v(s1), v(s2), v(s3) } linear independent?

Physics news on Phys.org
kant said:
for what of h is {v(s1), v(s2), v(s3) } linear independent?
There is no such value of h because v1 and v2 are already dependent.

EnumaElish said:
There is no such value of h because v1 and v2 are already dependent.

The anwer at the back say "all h".

Let's see. v1, v2, v3 are lin. indep. iff "a v1 + b v2 + c v3 = 0 implies a = b = c = 0. " See http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/LinearIndependence.html .

a (1,-3,2) + b (-3,9,-6) + c (5,-7,h) = 0

a - 3b + 5c = 0
-3a + 9b - 7c = 0
2a -6b + hc = 0

a = 3b - 5c
-3(3b - 5c) + 9b - 7c = 0
-9b + 15c + 9b - 7c = 0
15c - 7c = 0 ===> c = 0 ===> a = 3b
2a - 6b = 0
6b - 6b = 0 for all b

So a v1 + b v2 + c v3 = 0 is true for all a, all b and c = 0, i.e. it doesn't imply a = b = c = 0 (because it works with any a and b as long as c alone is zero). Therefore the vectors are not linearly independent for any h.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your original matrix is 4x3, so the row vectors have to be dependent. But the column vectors may be independent.

EnumaElish said:
Let's see. v1, v2, v3 are lin. indep. iff "a v1 + b v2 + c v3 = 0 implies a = b = c = 0. " See http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/LinearIndependence.html .

a (1,-3,2) + b (-3,9,-6) + c (5,-7,h) = 0

a - 3b + 5c = 0
-3a + 9b - 7c = 0
2a -6b + hc = 0

a = 3b - 5c
-3(3b - 5c) + 9b - 7c = 0
-9b + 15c + 9b - 7c = 0
15c - 7c = 0 ===> c = 0 ===> a = 3b
2a - 6b = 0
6b - 6b = 0 for all b

So a v1 + b v2 + c v3 = 0 is true for all a, all b and c = 0, i.e. it doesn't imply a = b = c = 0 (because it works with any a and b as long as c alone is zero). Therefore the vectors are not linearly independent for any h.

Hmm... From my point of view:

The question of weather the three vector are depend or not can be resolved by solving

|1_-3_5_0 |
|-3_9_-7_0
|2_-6_h_0 |

or

|1_-3_ 5_0|
|0_0_8_0_ |
|0_0_h-10_0|

The answer at the back stated that the three vector are dependent for "all h". I simple do not see that is the case, since if h is 10, then there is a free variable. In other word, this imply a nontrival solution for X, thus the three vector must be depend. It is not the case when h is not 10. Can you tell me what is wrong with my reasoning?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I am a slow thinker. What do you mean by "solving
|1_-3_5_0 |
|-3_9_-7_0
|2_-6_h_0 |"?

Also how do you get
|1_-3_ 5_0|
|0_0_8_0_ |
|0_0_h-10_0|
from
|1_-3_5_0 |
|-3_9_-7_0
|2_-6_h_0 |?
kant said:
The answer at the back stated that the three vector are dependent for "all h". I simple do not see that is the case
We seem to arrive at the same conclusion with different methods. I am trying to understand the method you have used. Please clarify if you need me to comment on it.

Okay,
Lets prove that a = b = c = 0 is not the only solotion to [tex]a v_1 + b v_2 + c v_3 = 0[/tex]
Matrix A:
[tex]A : = \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & -3 & 5 \\ -3 & 9 & -7 \\ 2 & -6 & h \end{array} \right][/tex]
You will always have:
[tex]\det{A} = 0 \mbox{, } \forall h[/tex]
Therefore a = b = c = 0 is not the only solution to [tex]a v_1 + b v_2 + c v_3 = 0[/tex], there fore for all h, the 3 vectors v1, v2, v3 are dependent.
h = 10 is one case that the 3 vectors are dependent, you can try another h like h = 1, pi, ...
Viet Dao,

Last edited:
Your terminology is very confusing: you talk about a "linearly independent set" but what you show is not a set at all: it looks like either a determinant or a matrix. What set of vectors are you talking about?

You then refer to the vector (1, -3, 2) which I presume you take from the bottom row. But then you talk about (-3, 9, -6) which I don't see any where in the "matrix" and which is clearly not independent of (1, -3, 2). (-3, 9, -6)= (-3)(1, -3, 2).

One common way of determining whether a set of vectors is independent is to write a matrix having those vectors as columns and then row reduce. Is that what is intended? Certainly the vectors (0, 3, -1, 1), (-8, -7, 5, -3), and (5, 4,-4, 2) are independent.

I am trying to prove that:
[tex] \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} 1a - 3b + 5c & = & 0 \\ -3a + 9b - 7c & = & 0 \\ 2a - 6b + hc & = & 0 \end{array} \right[/tex](1)
can have other solutions apart from a = b = c = 0 (this solution is obvious).
(1) have only one set of solution iff det(A) <> 0.
But because det(A) = 0, for all h. Then (1) can have other solutions, and therefore the 3 vectors are dependent. Am I missing something?
Viet Dao,

VietDao29 said:
I am trying to prove that:
[tex] \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} 1a - 3b + 5c & = & 0 \\ -3a + 9b - 7c & = & 0 \\ 2a - 6b + hc & = & 0 \end{array} \right[/tex](1)
can have other solutions apart from a = b = c = 0 (this solution is obvious).
(1) have only one set of solution iff det(A) <> 0.
But because det(A) = 0, for all h. Then (1) can have other solutions, and therefore the 3 vectors are dependent. Am I missing something?
Viet Dao,

Am I missing something? What does this have to do with the original question?

Err, maybe it's true that my terminology's very limited as I am not a native English speaker. And I self-study some maths (I'm going to grade 11th this year). So it may be true that I am wrong... :cry:
Anyway, I learn that a group of vectors {v1, v2,..., vn} is linear independent is the only solution to:
a1v1 + a2v2 + ... + anvn = 0 is ai = 0 for i = 1 .. n
And I try to prove that there exists a, b, c (a ^ 2 + b ^ 2 + c ^ 2 <> 0) such that:
[tex] a \left[ \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ -3 \\ 2 \end{array} \right] + b \left[ \begin{array}{c} -3 \\ 9 \\ -6 \end{array} \right] + c \left[ \begin{array}{c} 5 \\ -7 \\ h \end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right][/tex]
-----------------
So in order to find h that makes the 3 vectors independent, I find h such that det(A) <> 0.
Because in the book states that:
[tex] \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} a_1x_1 + a_2x_2 + ... + a_nx_n & = & 0 \\ b_1x_1 + b_2x_2 + ... + b_nx_n & = & 0 \\ ... \\ h_1x_1 + h2_x_2 + ... + h_nx_n & = & 0 \end{array} \right[/tex] (1)
Say :
[tex]A : = \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} a_1 & ... & a_n \\ \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\ h_1 & ... & h_n \end{array} \right][/tex]
From the book, it states : (1) has 1 set of solution iff det(A) <> 0.
And (1) has many sets of solution iff det(A) = 0.
And because det(A) = 0 for all h. So I conclude that there must exist another set of solution to (1) apart from a = b = c = 0.
And because of that the 3 vectors are dependent, no mater what h is chosen.
By the way, the original question is : For what of h is {v(s1), v(s2), v(s3) } linear independent?
So am I... wrong :confused:?
Viet Dao,

Last edited:

1. What is linear independence?

Linear independence refers to the property of a set of vectors in a vector space where none of the vectors in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors. In other words, no vector in the set can be written as a sum of multiples of the other vectors in the set.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination. This involves creating an augmented matrix with the vectors as columns and performing row operations to reduce the matrix to echelon form. If there are no free variables in the resulting matrix, the vectors are linearly independent. Alternatively, you can also use the determinant method, where if the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors is non-zero, the vectors are linearly independent.

3. What is the significance of linear independence in linear algebra?

Linear independence is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is essential in understanding vector spaces, subspaces, and transformations. It allows us to determine if a set of vectors spans a vector space and is also used in solving systems of linear equations and finding basis vectors.

4. Can a set of two vectors be linearly independent?

Yes, a set of two vectors can be linearly independent if they are not scalar multiples of each other. This means that the two vectors do not lie on the same line in a two-dimensional space or the same plane in a three-dimensional space.

5. What is the difference between linear independence and linear dependence?

The main difference between linear independence and linear dependence is that linear independence means none of the vectors in a set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors, while linear dependence means at least one vector in the set can be written as a linear combination of the others. In other words, linear independence is the absence of linear dependence.