Two variable limit question (Question/Answer included)

In summary, the limit of lim (x,y)→(0,0) [2x^3 + 6y^3]/[x^2 + y^2] is equal to 0, as demonstrated by converting to polar coordinates and showing that the result goes to 0 as r goes to 0.
s3a

Homework Statement

Problem:
Find the limit if it exists, or state that it does not exist for: lim (x,y)→(0,0) [2x^3 + 6y^3]/[x^2 + y^2].

Answer:
lim (x,y)→(0,0) [2x^3 + 6y^3]/[x^2 + y^2] = 0

Homework Equations

r^2 = x^2 + y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I can replace (x,y)→(0,0) with r→0 and x^2 + y^2 with r^2 but I am confused about what to do for the numerator.

Also, I don't think this is formally/mathematically acceptable but, if I replace the denominator with r^2 and keep the numerator with the x and y and then break the fractions to 2x^3 /r^2 + 6y^3 /r^2 and then I have, in each summand, the top cubic competing with the bottom square as both the numerator's and denominator's variables increase according to the limit so the top "wins" and the answer is 0.

While I wonder if my thinking in the above paragraph is correct, I would still like to know what the formal/mathematical way of approaching this problem is.

Any help in solving this problem would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You do the same with the numerator. In polar coordinates, [itex]x= r cos(\therta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so [itex]2x^3+ 6y^3= 2r^3 cos^3(\theta)+ 6r^3 sin^3(\theta)= r^3(2cos^3(\theta)+ 6sin^3(\theta))[/itex] and
[tex]\frac{2x^3+ 6y^3}{x^2+ y^2}= \frac{r^3(2cos^3(\theta)+ 6sin^3(\theta))}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]= r(2cos^3(\theta)+ 6sin^3(\theta)[/tex]
which goes to 0 as r goes to 0 no matter what [itex]\theta[/itex] is.

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks!

1. What is a two variable limit question?

A two variable limit question involves finding the limit of a function that has two variables, typically represented as x and y, as the variables approach a certain value or approach each other.

2. How do you solve a two variable limit question?

To solve a two variable limit question, you can use techniques such as substitution, factoring, and finding common denominators. You can also use the definition of a limit to evaluate the limit algebraically.

3. Is there a specific method for solving two variable limit questions?

No, there is not a single method for solving two variable limit questions. The method used will depend on the specific function and the techniques that are most appropriate for evaluating the limit.

4. Can two variable limit questions have multiple solutions?

Yes, two variable limit questions can have multiple solutions. This can occur if the function has different limits from different directions or if there are multiple ways to approach the limit algebraically.

5. What are some common applications of two variable limit questions?

Two variable limit questions are commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to understand the behavior of a function as the variables change. They can also be applied in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model and predict real-world phenomena.