1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Types of Thomas Calculus Textbooks - Specifically Referring to the 12th Edition Ones

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    I'm sure everyone doing some level of calculus or physics here is familiar with the Thomas Calculus Textbooks Series. Anyways, I've been really confused when searching for these textbooks, because there are so many different versions. Can anyone list and explain each version of the 12th edition Thomas Calculus textbook that they are familiar with.

I think there's (Normal Version, Early Transcendentals, Single Variable, Multi-variable, and combinations of the previous one's with or without 1st or 2nd order differential equations).

I may be missing some, but can someone please clarify the differences between each as well as list the specific books. Thanks. :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

eumyang

Homework Helper

Re: Types of Thomas Calculus Textbooks - Specifically Referring to the 12th Edition O

You can go to Pearson's website http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/discipline/Mathematics/91000051.page" [Broken], click on "Calculus" on the left side, and find all of the versions available.

- Normal version
    - Single Variable: Chapters 1-11 of the normal version
    - Multivariable: Chapters 11-16 of the normal version
    - Early Transcendentals: alternate version where some topics are presented in a different order
    - Early Transcendentals, Single Variable: Chapters 1-11 of the early transcendentals version

I don't think the 12th editions include the chapter on 2nd order DiffEq - that chapter is available online, according to Pearson.

There is also a series titled "University Calculus," where Thomas is listed as a co-author. I explained the different versions in a https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3491368&postcount=2".

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    Re: Types of Thomas Calculus Textbooks - Specifically Referring to the 12th Edition O

Thanks, eumyang. :smile:

You know how Early Transcendentals is a whole full version which presents the topics in an order different from the Normal Full book, is there anything contained in the Early Transcendentals book that's not in the original (or do they only differ solely in the presentation of topics?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook