Which UC is Best for a Physics Major: UCSB, UCSD, or UCD?

• Thread starter khemist
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is undecided between UC Davis, UCSB, and UCSD for their physics major and is seeking advice from alumni or current students about the atmosphere and programs at each school. Their first choice is UCSB but they are concerned about the environment, while Davis and SD are also potential options. Their main goal is to study physics and participate in theoretical research. The responder suggests choosing UCSB due to its strong social scene and reputation in physics, but also mentions the likelihood of changing majors as one is exposed to different subjects.
khemist
With school decision deadlines coming up, I still am quite up in the air about which school would fit the best for my needs. I am deciding between UC Davis, UCSB, and UCSD, majoring in physics.

I would like to hear from alumni or current students at the schools, specifically about the atmosphere and how comfortable one feels at the schools. I understand that it is a very subjective thing, but because I am unable to visit UCSB and UCSD for various reasons, I need some insight! Also looking to hear about their programs and how well one was able to accomplish what they set out to do.

My first choice is UCSB, but I am nervous about the environment surrounding that school. Second would be Davis, though to be honest Davis and SD are quite similar (from what I have read, though that could be wrong) and either might work. My primary goal is to study physics and get involved with research, hopefully in theoretical physics.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say go to UCSB. It has a strong social scene and a top rate physics reputation. However, keep in mind you're probably going to change your major as you get exposed to different things. I know a lot of people that's happened too.

Good luck

1. What are the most important factors to consider when choosing between UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, and UC San Diego?

The most important factors to consider when choosing between these three UC schools are the academic programs and majors offered, location and campus environment, cost and financial aid opportunities, and overall reputation and ranking of the university.

2. How competitive are admissions for UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, and UC San Diego?

Admissions for all three UC schools are highly competitive, with UC San Diego being the most competitive among them. The acceptance rates for 2021 were 43.9% for UC Davis, 29% for UC Santa Barbara, and 30.2% for UC San Diego.

3. What sets each of these UC schools apart from each other?

UC Davis is known for its strong programs in agriculture, veterinary medicine, and engineering. UC Santa Barbara is known for its beautiful coastal location and highly ranked programs in science and engineering. UC San Diego is known for its prestigious research opportunities and top-ranked programs in engineering and biological sciences.

4. How important are extracurricular activities in the admissions process for these UC schools?

Extracurricular activities can be important in the admissions process for these UC schools, as they can demonstrate a well-rounded and involved student. However, they are not the sole determining factor and academic performance is still the most important consideration for admissions.

5. What advice do you have for students applying to these UC schools?

My advice would be to thoroughly research each university and its programs to see which one aligns best with your academic and career goals. Also, make sure to put effort into your application and showcase your unique strengths and passions. Lastly, don't be discouraged if you don't get accepted to your top choice, as all three of these UC schools are prestigious and offer excellent opportunities for students.