Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UEFA Euro 2012

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    Are any of you following Euro 2012? Which team do you support? :smile:

Me, I'm Dutch. So, yeah, don't laugh.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2
    Portugal, duh!!

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Both of your teams have to get past the group of death, and neither one is off to a very good start in that regard.

Spain v Italy today will be interesting.

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4
    Northern Ireland didn't get through so I'm supporting the Republic of Ireland.

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5
    Aye, despite the bad start against Germany, I'm hoping they'll do good. I've been an ardent fan of Portugal ever since I knew football, so yeah... :smile:

7. Jun 10, 2012 #6
    *nods* Yup. The 0-1 against Denmark was a bitter pill to swallow.

I agree. Although Italy hasn't been doing so well lately, they're still a good team. Spain, of course, is also very good.

D H, are you a fan of a team yourself?

8. Jun 10, 2012 #7
    I'm supporting Germany, the game last night wasn't great though.

9. Jun 10, 2012 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is Spain up to with their lineup? Tic tac, but no toe (no strikers!).

10. Jun 10, 2012 #9
    I wondered that, too. And I don't know - it reminds me of Barcelona, though. I guess we'll see how it works out for Spain (or Italy).

11. Jun 11, 2012 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I liked the Spain vs Italy match much more than Germany vs Portugal.

As long as we are in the tournament I support Poland, that's out of the question :tongue2:

12. Jun 11, 2012 #11
    I'm danish, so for the moment, I'm happy. Wednesday, we just need to beat Portugal and germany to beat Holland, then I'll be VERY happy.

But Russia lurks in the quarter, and they look scary!!

13. Jun 11, 2012 #12
    I'm in the good situation of coming from one country but living in another (sweden and germany respectively), which means I get two shots at cheering for the right team ;)

14. Jun 11, 2012 #13
    Agreed. Although for me that was mostly because both Germany and Portugal were playing badly. Spain vs Italy was a fun game to watch, but I thought the Spanish could've done better - if only they had a good striker. :biggrin: (Though, being Dutch, I probably had better shut my mouth for now.)

To be honest, I think Germany is going to smash Holland to pulp in the next match. I'm not sure about Portugal vs Denmark and Portugal vs Holland. So far, the performance of the Portuguese hasn't been stunning - but neither has that of the Germans or the Dutch, for that matter.

Yup. On the off chance that Holland makes it to the quarter finals, it seems possible that they'll still have to beat Russia. You know, the team that totally destroyed them four years ago. :grumpy:

15. Jun 11, 2012 #14
    Not sure about that. They just need to tell Robben to lean forward when he shoots, so that the ball doesnt end up 25 feet above goal. :) Anyway, I have a hard time seeing those guys being so innefective two matches in a row. And I don't think germany was scary against Portugal.

Portugal-Denmark is wide open imo. If the danes hit the day and play like they did in the qualification against them, then they will win. But if Portugal scores early, it could end up really bad for Denmark.

16. Jun 11, 2012 #15
    After Irelands performance against Croatia, I'm going to say it could be an absolute hammering from Spain on Thursday.

17. Jun 11, 2012 #16
    Before watching that match, did you expect them to make it to the quarter finals? Most people certainly didn't.

On another note, I would just like to point out that I now absolutely *love* Antonio Di Natale. That guy's an awesome striker.

18. Jun 11, 2012 #17
    I stayed up all night to catch the game was terrible disappointed in the players.

The referee wasn't exactly on our side either, but the defence was just cringe worthy to watch.... I expected alot more seeing as we never get into competitions like the euros.

19. Jun 11, 2012 #18
    Ukraine just beat Sweden! Phew, that was one intense match.

20. Jun 11, 2012 #19

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Shevchenko rulez.

21. Jun 12, 2012 #20
    Yeah, and the reviews in the swedish press was pretty clear, sweden played way to cowardly on the most part of the game, should have dared more aggression, like they did at the start of the second half.

Now it will be tough though, if sweden couldn't beat ukraine, england and france will be hard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook