Euro 2012: Who's Cheering For Whom?

• Thread starter KiwiKid
  • Start date
In summary: Irish.The referee wasn't exactly on our side either, but the defence was just cringe worthy to watch... I expected... more from the Irish.
George Jones said:
He seemed to care more about the actions of fans

I am not surprised. It wasn't a pleasant day in Warsaw and it is probably not going to be a pleasant night. Russians worked hard for several hundred years to loose our sympathy and they are definitely not seen here as a friendly nation, so they are an obvious target for our hooligans. And while the huge majority of Russian fans came here came just for fun and soccer, some came looking for troubles. It was a no-win situation from the very beginning, tensions started weeks ago (or in 16th century, depending on how general you want to be). From what I know already around 100 people were stopped by police (mostly Polish but not only).

Physics news on Phys.org
Poland v. Russia was probably the best game I have seen so far and what a goal from Poland! The Russian left back in particular was doing a good job.

Netherlands v. Germany should be a good one tonight, I like the way both teams play.

Muhahahahahaha! Portugal beat Denmark, which is good for us Dutch people.

<.<

>.>

...Now we only need to not lose to Germany. :uhh:

Hm...
Monique said:
For tomorrow I wrote down Netherlands-Germany 0-1, now I hope I'm wrong about that! :biggrin:
...You will be. It's 0-2 now. :frown:

Gomez2

1-2! :approve: I'd say a few more things about what those Germans could do with that football, but I don't want Evo to ban me. o:)

Hup Holland hup! :biggrin:

Sigh. I hate to say it, but the Germans really deserved to win this match.

:frown:

grumpy_borek.png

We didn't deserve to lose. Not that we were better, but we were not worse.

Last edited:
The results from today's matches were ... bizarre. Russia is out, Greece is in? Whoa!

Borek said:
grumpy_borek.png

We didn't deserve to lose. Not that we were better, but we were not worse.

If you have any influence in the UEFA, would you also tell them about the Danish for us disillusioned Dutch people? :wink:

D H said:
The results from today's matches were ... bizarre. Russia is out, Greece is in? Whoa!

They'll most likely have to play against the Germans in the quarter-finals. That's bound to become an interesting match. :biggrin:

Well, that's that. Portugal - not altogether surprisingly - beats Holland and goes to the quarter-finals (congrats, Infinitum :wink:). Germany, too, wins.

Would you believe it? Germany beaten by Italy?

Germany looked good, real good for the first 10 minutes. Games last 90 minutes.

Borek said:

History wasn't exactly on their side. :wink:

Admittedly, I thought Germany would win at the beginning. But after 90 minutes, I was rather surprised Italy didn't score more than 2 goals.

D H said:
Germany looked good, real good for the first 10 minutes. Games last 90 minutes.
The last two minutes were pretty exciting, too.

Borek said:

I was betting on Germany too, but Pirlo did a really awesome job assisting that first goal.

Overall I believe Italy deserved to win :smile:

I love France,but they were shut out :(

It's only ten minutes in, but I really like the pace of this final.

Italy out of luck.

Man, I forgot all about the final match. :(

To summarise: it was a really cool final. Spain scored 1-0, and were better, but Italy weren't bad either. Just before the end of the first half, Spain made the 2-0. Italy got of to a reasonably good start in the second half, but Spain was still quite clearly the better team. Italy used up their third and final substitute at (I think) approximately 20 minutes into the second half, but had to continue playing with only 10 players when this very player got an injury to his hamstring. After that, Spain totally demolished Italy, ending the match in an impressive 4-0.

I'm convinced this was one of the most enjoyable finals I've watched, even though I was silently hoping Italy would win. :)