Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ultracapacitor/Supercapacitor for electric vehicles

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    Hello All,

We are trying to make an electric vehicle and we want to use ultracapasitor.
    Is there anyone who has experiences and what is differences these capasitors from others?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The supercaps that I'm aware of are for low-current, long life applications. Not for high peak current applications like a car. Panasonic makes some supercaps, so you could check their website. You're also not going to get the energy density out of a capacitor that you can out of storing the energy in the chemical reaction of a battery.

Have you considered using a fuel cell instead?

4. Apr 19, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

The only major difference that I'm aware of is that supercaps have a much higher energy density when compared to "regular" capacitors. If you need it for the purposes of vehicles, you'll need a supercap in excess of 2500F! I've never seen an electric vehicle powered by only a supercap. These kinds of capacitors would be best if it could get assistance from an internal combustion engine.

5. Apr 20, 2007 #4

Stingray

Science Advisor

Maxwell Technologies makes some very heavy duty capacitors. They're great for huge power densities, but batteries are better for energy density. These caps also have a high self-discharge rate. I think that a car could best use these devices to take better advantage of regenerative braking. They can be charged much more quickly than batteries.

6. Apr 20, 2007 #5
    Yes we will use in a hydrogen car.We try to design like this

fuelcell---supercap---motordriver---motor

we dont want use a converter before motor driver because efficiency more importand for us.We want to regulate voltage after fuelcell with these supercaps

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  7. Apr 23, 2007 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?