Unanswered Questions: My Experience with Attempting to Discuss Light Speed

• Thread starter Orien Rigney
  • Start date
In summary, Orien tried to reply to a thread about "light speed" but was locked out without explanation. They are not an expert in cosmology, but they have many questions to ask. When asked to provide a link to the thread, Orien admits to being unfamiliar with the forum layout. Drakkith explains that old threads are automatically locked, and it is discouraged to revive them. They suggest starting a new thread and providing a link to the old one if necessary.
Orien Rigney
I tried replying to a thread concerning "light speed", but was locked out with no explanation. Not being overly endowed with brilliance, I too may also be looked upon as someone spouting a bit of crack-pottery. But not so! I am an amateur in the field of cosmology as well as many other fields of endeavor, but I have tons of questions to be asked.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Orien. Can you post a link to the thread in question?

Drakkith said:
Hi Orien. Can you post a link to the thread in question?
Sorry to get back to you so late Drakkith, but I'm not yet too familiar with how this forum is laid out and I'm actually quite lost.

No worries!

All threads older than a certain age (2010? 2011? I've forgotten) are automatically locked, regardless of their content. We frown on re-awakening very old threads ("necroposting") because many of the original participants are likely to no longer be here. In such cases, feel free to start a new thread. If you think it would be useful to provide context, you can copy the address (URL) of the old thread from your browser's address bar and paste it into your post to make a link.

Related to Unanswered Questions: My Experience with Attempting to Discuss Light Speed

1. What is light speed and how is it measured?

Light speed is the speed at which light travels in a vacuum, which is approximately 300,000 kilometers per second. It is measured using a unit called the speed of light, denoted by the symbol c.

2. Is it possible for anything to travel faster than light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is not possible for anything to travel faster than light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and would require an infinite amount of energy to continue accelerating.

3. How does light speed affect time and space?

As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for the object relative to a stationary observer. This is known as time dilation. Additionally, space appears to contract in the direction of motion, known as length contraction. These effects are a result of the constant speed of light being the same for all observers.

4. Can we observe light traveling at the speed of light?

No, we cannot observe light traveling at the speed of light. This is because as soon as light is emitted, it is already traveling at its maximum speed. We can only observe the effects of light, such as seeing objects due to the reflection of light off of them.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding light speed?

Understanding light speed is crucial in the fields of physics and astronomy. It helps us understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how objects behave at high speeds. It also has practical applications in technologies such as GPS and satellite communication, which rely on precise timing and the speed of light to function accurately.