How Should Uncertainty Be Reported for the Square Root of a Measurement?

In summary: Your name]In summary, when reporting uncertainties, it is important to follow the guidelines set by your institution or field of study. In this case, it is best to use the method presented in the book "Introduction to error analysis" by Taylor. If you encounter any difficulties, seek assistance from your professor or colleagues. Unfortunately, as a forum user, you do not have the authority to delete topics, but you can always edit your posts to correct any errors.
arierreF

Homework Statement

Book: Introduction to error analysis, Taylor

In page 66, quick check 3.8

If you measure x = 100[itex]\pm[/itex] 6, what should you report for [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex]with its uncertainty.

Homework Equations

Rule for uncertainty as power:
[itex]\frac{∂q}{|q|}[/itex] = |n|[itex]\frac{∂x}{|x|}[/itex]where [itex]q = x^{n}[/itex]

3. Attempt

So our function is q = [itex]x^{\frac{1}{2}}[/itex]

then σq = 0,3. (as in solution)The problem that is killing me is if i decide to use the general rule for error propagation, the result is different.

Using that rule:

|σq| = |[itex]\frac{∂q}{|x|}| Δx = | \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}} |Δx [/itex]
That gives:

|σq| ≈ 0,3After all, the problem is correct. It was just bad calculations.

I do not to know how to delete topics. :/

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. As a fellow scientist, I can understand your frustration with the discrepancy in the results obtained using different methods for error propagation. However, it is important to note that both methods are valid and can be used depending on the context and the specific problem at hand.

When it comes to reporting uncertainties, it is always best to follow the rules and guidelines set by your institution or field of study. In this case, since you are using the book "Introduction to error analysis" by Taylor, it is best to follow the method presented in the book. This will ensure consistency and accuracy in your reporting.

In the future, if you encounter any doubts or difficulties in your calculations, I would suggest seeking assistance from your professor or colleagues. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can help identify any errors in calculations.

As for deleting topics, unfortunately, as a forum user, you do not have the authority to delete topics. However, you can always edit your posts to correct any errors or misunderstandings.

I hope this helps, and best of luck with your studies.

1. What is uncertainty as power?

Uncertainty as power refers to the concept that in situations of uncertainty, the party with more information or control over the situation has more power. This can be seen in various fields such as economics, politics, and psychology.

2. How does uncertainty affect decision making?

Uncertainty can greatly impact decision making as it creates doubt and insecurity. This can lead to hesitation, indecisiveness, and a fear of making the wrong choice. It can also cause individuals to rely on others with more information, giving them power in the decision-making process.

3. Can uncertainty be used as a manipulation tactic?

Yes, uncertainty can be used as a manipulation tactic by those who have more information or control over a situation. They may intentionally create uncertainty in order to gain power over others and influence their decisions in their favor.

4. How can individuals use uncertainty to their advantage?

Individuals can use uncertainty to their advantage by becoming comfortable with ambiguity and learning to make decisions despite not having all the information. They can also gather more information and control over a situation to increase their power.

5. What are some potential downsides of using uncertainty as power?

Using uncertainty as power can have negative consequences such as creating distrust and damaging relationships. It can also lead to unethical behavior and manipulation tactics. In addition, relying too heavily on uncertainty as power can hinder personal growth and decision-making skills.