How Do You Calculate Uncertainty in the Volume of a Cylinder?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Necrosity
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Necrosity
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


9.The diameter of a cylindrical piece of copper rod was measured at a 24.8 +/- 0.5mm with a vernier caliper. Its length was measured at 135 +/- 0.5mm with a meter rule.

a. Calculate the percentage uncertainty in the diameter.
b. Calculate the percentage uncertainty in the length
c. Calculate the percentage uncertainty in the volume of the cylinder.
d. Calculate the absolute uncertainty in the volume of the cylinder in mm^3

Homework Equations


%U = AU/Measurement (atleast that's how i do it)
V = Pi x r^2 x l
Thats all i know.


The Attempt at a Solution


I figured out:
A. %U = 0.20%
B. %U = 0.37%
C. %U of V = 0.77%

But I've got no idea about D. Needs to show full working out.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF :smile:

Before doing D, I'll suggest re-doing A and C. Post back here, then I can help with D.

(B is correct, by the way.)