Uncertainty in some observable A

In summary: The uncertainty in B will depend on the specific state (wavefunction) and the specific operator (observable).
CAF123
Gold Member
Why do we define the uncertainty in some physical quantity ##A## as: $$\delta A = < \sqrt{<A^2> - <A>^2} > .$$ I know that it can be derived by computing the variance of ##A##, but what is the physical meaning?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
Why do we define the uncertainty in some physical quantity ##A## as: $$\delta A = < \sqrt{<A^2> - <A>^2} > .$$ I know that it can be derived by computing the variance of ##A##, but what is the physical meaning?
Thanks!

It has the same statistical meaning as usual variance. The deviation of any particular measurement from the expected value is A-<A>, the average value of this quantity is by definition zero. so in order to define variance, we square it (so it's no longer zero), and take the average. (followed by a square root to make dimensions right)

cattlecattle said:
The deviation of any particular measurement from the expected value is A-<A>, the average value of this quantity is by definition zero. so in order to define variance, we square it (so it's no longer zero), and take the average. (followed by a square root to make dimensions right)

Mathematically:

$$\Delta A = \sqrt{\langle (A - \langle A \rangle)^2 \rangle}$$

which can be shown to reduce to

$$\Delta A = \sqrt{\langle A^2 \rangle - {\langle A \rangle}^2}$$

cattlecattle said:
The deviation of any particular measurement from the expected value is A-<A>, the average value of this quantity is by definition zero.
Why is this zero? A is the measurement obtained from some experiment and <A> is the number obtained by making measurements on many different particles in the same quantum state (I,e described by the same wave function). Did I understand the meaning of these terms correctly?

so in order to define variance, we square it (so it's no longer zero), and take the average. (followed by a square root to make dimensions right)

Why does squaring zero not equal zero?

@jtbell - I proved the statement you gave.

Thanks!

CAF123 said:
Why is this zero?

Half the measurements have a positive deviation (above the expectation value) and half have a negative deviation (below the expectation value). Their average is zero. More precisely, the average approaches zero as the number of measurements becomes larger and larger.

<A> is the number obtained by making measurements on many different particles in the same quantum state (I,e described by the same wave function).

I would say that ##\langle A \rangle## is the predicted or expected average of many measurements (hence the term "expectation value"), calculated from the wave function according to a certain recipe. The observed or experimental average is never exactly the expectation value, but it comes closer and closer to the expectation value as the number of measurements increases.

@CAF
I think you understood well and just misread: It is not
A-<A> that is zero, but its average.
Thus (A−⟨A⟩)² is not zero and its average isn't either.

jtbell said:
The observed or experimental average is never exactly the expectation value.

The above is true unless the wave function can be written as a product of two functions, one in ##x## and one in ##t##, yes? In which case, the energy takes a definite value (the wavefunction models an energy eigenstate). I believe in general in this case, for a stationary state, I can write that ##ΔA = 0## and so every measurement of ##A## over lots of systems will give the same value, that value being the expected value.

CAF123 said:
for a stationary state, I can write that ##ΔA = 0##

That is true only if A = E (energy). If ΔE = 0, it's possible for Δx or Δp or ΔL or whatever to be nonzero.

@CAF
In general, if your system is in an eigenstate of the operator A, the measured value of A will always be the eigenvalue. There is no general conclusion to be drawn on any other operator B.

Related to Uncertainty in some observable A

1. What is uncertainty in an observable A?

Uncertainty in an observable A refers to the degree of imprecision or lack of certainty in the measurement or observation of a particular physical quantity or phenomenon. It is a measure of the range of possible values that the observable A could take on.

2. How is uncertainty in an observable A calculated?

Uncertainty in an observable A is typically calculated using statistical methods, such as standard deviation or confidence intervals, based on the precision and accuracy of the measurement or observation. It can also be estimated through repeated measurements of the same observable A.

3. What factors contribute to uncertainty in an observable A?

There are several factors that can contribute to uncertainty in an observable A, including limitations in measurement instruments, human error, natural variability in the phenomenon being observed, and systematic errors in the experimental setup or data analysis.

4. How does uncertainty in an observable A impact scientific research?

Uncertainty in an observable A is an important consideration in scientific research as it can affect the accuracy and validity of experimental results. It is crucial for scientists to understand and quantify uncertainty in order to properly interpret and communicate their findings.

5. Can uncertainty in an observable A be reduced or eliminated?

Uncertainty in an observable A cannot be completely eliminated, as it is inherent in any measurement or observation. However, it can be reduced by improving measurement techniques, increasing sample size, and minimizing sources of error. It is also important for scientists to acknowledge and report the level of uncertainty associated with their results.