Uncertainty principle

In summary, the problem involves a mosquito flying at a speed of 50 cm/s with an uncertainty of .5 mm/s. The equation delta p * delta x = h bar / 2 is used to determine the uncertainty of the position. The solution involves finding delta p by multiplying the mass of the mosquito by the uncertainty of its velocity, and then solving for delta x. This will provide the range of positions in which the mosquito could be found.
zoner7

Homework Statement

A mosquito of mass .15mg is found to be flying at a speed of 50 cm/s within an uncertainly of .5 mm/s.

a) How precisely can it's position be known?

Homework Equations

Delta p * Delta x = h bar / 2
p = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I look at problem originally and simply solved for momentum using the given velocity 50 cm/s. Then i plugged that into the delta x * delta p = h bar / 2.
I got the answer 7.033 X 10^-31

Then I realized that I never used the variable describing the uncertainly of the fly's velocity. Clearly this is relevant to the solution of the problem. I think that I calculated the acutal momentum, as opposed to the uncertaintly of momentum, which the above equation calls for. How am I supposed to differentiate between the actual velocity and the uncertaintly of velocity?

Does the problem want me to give a range of positions? I could solve for the uncertainly of momentum using 50 cm/s + or - .5 mm/s. Could I then could find a max and a min position using the uncertainly equation? What exactly should I be solving for?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
zoner7 said:
I look at problem originally and simply solved for momentum using the given velocity 50 cm/s. Then i plugged that into the delta x * delta p = h bar / 2.

You found momentum p, which is not what the equation uses. It uses delta p.

Given that [itex]p=mv[/itex] , then [itex]\Delta p=m\Delta v[/itex].

The problem just wants to know delta x.

Last edited:

I understand the concept of uncertainty principle, which states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously. In this particular problem, we are given the mass and velocity of a mosquito, but also an uncertainty in its velocity.

To answer the question of how precisely the mosquito's position can be known, we need to use the uncertainty principle equation: Δp * Δx = h bar / 2. Here, Δp represents the uncertainty in the momentum and Δx represents the uncertainty in the position. We also know that momentum is given by p = mv, where m is the mass and v is the velocity.

To incorporate the uncertainty in velocity, we can use the given range of 50 cm/s ± 0.5 mm/s. This means that the mosquito's velocity can be anywhere from 49.5 cm/s to 50.5 cm/s. We can use these values to calculate the uncertainty in momentum (Δp) and then use the uncertainty principle equation to solve for the uncertainty in position (Δx).

In summary, to accurately answer the question, we need to solve for the uncertainty in position (Δx) using the uncertainty in momentum (Δp) calculated from the given range of velocities. This will give us a range of positions within which the mosquito is likely to be found.

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle. In other words, the more precisely we know one of these properties, the less precisely we can know the other.

2. Who discovered the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. Heisenberg's work was based on previous research by Niels Bohr, Max Born, and others, and it revolutionized the field of quantum mechanics.

3. How does the uncertainty principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

The uncertainty principle challenges the traditional view of a deterministic universe, where everything can be predicted with absolute certainty. Instead, it suggests that at the subatomic level, there is a degree of inherent randomness that cannot be eliminated. This has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of matter and energy.

4. Can the uncertainty principle be observed in everyday life?

No, the uncertainty principle only applies to the behavior of subatomic particles and has no noticeable effects on macroscopic objects. However, the principles of quantum mechanics, including the uncertainty principle, are essential for technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.

5. Is the uncertainty principle universally accepted by scientists?

The uncertainty principle is a well-established principle in the field of quantum mechanics and is widely accepted by scientists. However, there are ongoing debates and research surrounding its interpretation and implications for our understanding of the physical world.