1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncertainty principle

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mosquito of mass .15mg is found to be flying at a speed of 50 cm/s within an uncertainly of .5 mm/s.

a) How precisely can it's position be known?

2. Relevant equations

Delta p * Delta x = h bar / 2
    p = mv

3. The attempt at a solution

I look at problem originally and simply solved for momentum using the given velocity 50 cm/s. Then i plugged that into the delta x * delta p = h bar / 2.
    I got the answer 7.033 X 10^-31

Then I realized that I never used the variable describing the uncertainly of the fly's velocity. Clearly this is relevant to the solution of the problem. I think that I calculated the acutal momentum, as opposed to the uncertaintly of momentum, which the above equation calls for. How am I supposed to differentiate between the actual velocity and the uncertaintly of velocity?

Does the problem want me to give a range of positions? I could solve for the uncertainly of momentum using 50 cm/s + or - .5 mm/s. Could I then could find a max and a min position using the uncertainly equation? What exactly should I be solving for?

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2009 #2
    You found momentum p, which is not what the equation uses. It uses delta p.

Given that [itex]p=mv[/itex] , then [itex]\Delta p=m\Delta v[/itex].

The problem just wants to know delta x.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook