Uncertainty product of infinite square well

In summary, when calculating the uncertainty product (del x)(del p) for a particle in a one-dimensional box with rigid reflecting end-points, using the wavefunction of infinite square well potential in the ground state, the expectation value is (h/2) (sqrt{1/12 - 1/(2(Pi)^2)}) which is none of the given options. The correct answer is (h/2) (sqrt{L^2/12 - L^2/(2(Pi)^2)}). This mistake may have been caused by a typo in the problem where they meant to use \hbar instead of h.
mite
For the ground state of a particle moving freely in a one-dimentional box 0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]L with rigid reflecting end-points, the uncertainty product (del x)(del p) is
1 h/2
2 sqrt{2}h
3 >h/2
4 h/sqrt{3}

I used (del x)^2 =<x^2>-<x>^2 and (del p)^2 =<p^2>-<p>^2
Using the wavefunction of infinite square well potential in ground state i found the the expectation value . i got
(del x)(del p)= (h/2) ( sqrt{ (1/12) -- (1/2(Pi)^2) } )
which is none of the options.
How to solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I got a different answer. Please show us the details of your work. It's impossible to spot where your mistake is otherwise.

[tex]\Psi[/tex]=[tex]\sqrt{}[/tex](2/L) Sin([tex]\Pi[/tex]x/L)

<x>=[tex]\int[/tex](2/L) (Sin([tex]\Pi[/tex]x/L)^2 x dx {in the limit 0 to L}
<x>=L/2

<x^2>=[tex]\int[/tex](2/L) (Sin([tex]\Pi[/tex]x/L))^2 x^2 dx {in the limit 0 to L}
<x^2>=(L^2 / 3) - ( L^2 / (2 [tex]\Pi[/tex]^2)

<p>=[tex]\int[/tex](2/L) Sin([tex]\Pi[/tex]x/L) (-i [tex]\hbar[/tex] d/dx) Sin([tex]\Pi[/tex]x/L) dx {in the limit 0 to L}
<p>=0

<p^2>=[tex]\int[/tex](2/L) Sin([tex]\Pi[/tex]x/L) ( - [tex]\hbar[/tex]^2 d/dx (d/dx) ) Sin([tex]\Pi[/tex]x/L) dx {in the limit 0 to L}
<p^2>= ([tex]\hbar[/tex]^2 [tex]\Pi[/tex]^2) /L^2

(del x)^2=<x^2>-<x>^2=( L^2 /12 ) - ( L^2 /( 2 [tex]\Pi[/tex]^2) )
(del p)^2=<p^2>-<p>^2=([tex]\hbar[/tex]^2 [tex]\Pi[/tex]^2) /L^2

(del x)(del p)= ([tex]\hbar[/tex][tex]\Pi[/tex]/L) [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex](( L^2 /12 ) - ( L^2 /( 2 [tex]\Pi[/tex]^2) ) )
(del x)(del p)=(h/2) [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]( (1/12) - ( 1 / ( 2 [tex]\Pi[/tex]^2 ) ) )

Last edited:
In the very last step, you made an algebra mistake when you pulled the factor of L/2π out.

[tex]
\Delta x \Delta p & = \frac{\hbar\pi}{L} \sqrt{\frac{L^2}{12}-\frac{L^2}{2\pi^2}} =
\frac{\hbar\pi}{L} \sqrt{\frac{L^2}{(2\pi)^2}\left(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{2}{\pi^2}\right)}
[/tex]

Last edited:
In the question all the options are expressed in terms of " h " rather then " [tex]\hbar[/tex] " so i used [tex]\hbar[/tex]=h/(2[tex]\Pi[/tex]) hence i got the last step

Oh, I see. Your answer looks fine. It's probably just a typo in the problem where they meant [itex]\hbar[/itex] instead of h.

(Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that last radical.)

Right thank you :smile:

1. What is the uncertainty product of infinite square well?

The uncertainty product of infinite square well is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the relationship between the uncertainty in position and momentum of a particle confined within an infinite potential well. It is given by the formula ΔxΔp ≥ h/2π, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and h is Planck's constant.

2. How is the uncertainty product of infinite square well related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty product of infinite square well is a specific application of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The uncertainty product sets a lower bound on the product of these uncertainties, showing that they cannot both be minimized simultaneously.

3. What are the implications of the uncertainty product in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty product has important implications in quantum mechanics, as it demonstrates that there are fundamental limits to our ability to measure certain physical quantities. It also shows that at the quantum level, particles do not have definite positions or momentums, but rather exist in a state of superposition with a range of possible values for these quantities.

4. How does the width of the infinite square well affect the uncertainty product?

The width of the infinite square well affects the uncertainty product by changing the possible values for the particle's momentum. A wider well allows for a greater range of momentum values, resulting in a smaller uncertainty in momentum and a larger uncertainty in position. Conversely, a narrower well leads to a larger uncertainty in momentum and a smaller uncertainty in position.

5. Can the uncertainty product of infinite square well be applied to other systems?

While the uncertainty product was originally derived for the infinite square well, it can be applied to other systems with similar properties, such as a harmonic oscillator. However, the specific value of h/2π may vary for different systems, depending on their characteristics. In general, the uncertainty product is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and can be applied to various physical systems.