What is the Minimum Energy of a One-Dimensional Linear Oscillator?

In summary, the energy of a one-dimensional linear oscillator can be written using the uncertainty relation as p_x = ħ^2 / (2x)^2, and the minimum energy can be found by setting the derivative of the energy with respect to Δp to zero. The expression for the minimum energy does not include the variables omega or f.
Abdul.119

Homework Statement

The (classical) energy of one-dimensional linear oscillator is
2.gif

a) show, using the uncertainty relation, that the energy can be written as
gif.gif

b) Show that the minimum energy of the oscillator is
2.gif

Where
m%29.gif

Homework Equations

Δp Δx >= ħ/2
p ≈ ħ/2x

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck on this problem, I could say that the p_x = ħ^2 / (2x)^2 then substitute in the equation, but still where did the π and the 32 come from? I couldn't find any other relevant equations
Edit: Oh I just realized ħ = h/2π , then p^2 = h^2/(4πx)^2 , substituting in the equation would give the answer.
But now what about b)? I believe to find the minimum energy we set Δx >= ħ/2Δp , but it isn't clear to me how the frequency and angular velocity come in

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the difference between h and ħ?

Orodruin said:
Are you familiar with the difference between h and ħ?
Oh yes, I just realized that a minute ago and edited my post, but now I'm still having trouble with part b)

Are you familiar with how to find the minimum of a function?

Orodruin said:
Are you familiar with how to find the minimum of a function?
Hmm I believe I have to take the derivative with respect to Δp, minimum energy dE/dΔp = 0

Δp is no longer part of your expression for the energy ... You have just expressed it as a function of x only.

Then the derivative of p_x = ħ^2 / (2x)^2 ?

No, it is the energy you wish to minimise.

use dE/dx = 0 ?

Abdul.119 said:
use dE/dx = 0 ?
Why don't you try it and see what you get?

Orodruin said:
Why don't you try it and see what you get?
Would get
E = -2h^2/32mx^3π^2 + 2Cx
Doesn't make sense because I still don't see where the omega and f come from

Last edited:
You care far too much about the omega and f. You are just supposed to find the minimum energy, which is a certain given expression in terms of omega where omega is an expression in other variables which arethe actual variables you have.

Orodruin said:
You care far too much about the omega and f. You are just supposed to find the minimum energy, which is a certain given expression in terms of omega where omega is an expression in other variables which arethe actual variables you have.
So you mean E = -2h^2/32mx^3π^2 + 2Cx can be simplified into
2.gif
? how?

No, that is your energy derivative. You need to put it to zero to find the minimum.

1. What is the uncertainty relation?

The uncertainty relation, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states there is a limit to how precisely certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, can be measured simultaneously. This means that the more precisely one property is measured, the less precise the measurement of the other property will be.

2. Who discovered the uncertainty relation?

The uncertainty relation was developed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. Heisenberg's formulation of the principle was based on his work on matrix mechanics, one of the two main formulations of quantum mechanics.

3. How is the uncertainty relation mathematically expressed?

The uncertainty relation can be mathematically expressed as ΔxΔp ≥ ħ/2, where Δx represents the uncertainty in position, Δp represents the uncertainty in momentum, and ħ is the reduced Planck constant.

4. What is the significance of the uncertainty relation?

The uncertainty relation has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world, as it challenges the classical notion of determinism and the ability to predict the behavior of particles with absolute certainty. It also plays a crucial role in various quantum phenomena, such as the wave-particle duality and quantum tunneling.

5. Can the uncertainty relation be violated?

The uncertainty relation is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times. It cannot be violated, but there are ways to minimize the uncertainty in one property at the expense of increasing the uncertainty in the other property, known as uncertainty squeezing.