How Does the Uncertainty Principle Relate to Wave Packet Spread?

In summary, the width of the amplitude and the width of the wavepacket have an inverse relationship because a wider range of frequencies in the wavepacket results in a narrower range of positions, and vice versa. This can be mathematically represented as $\Delta x \Delta k_x \approx 1$. I hope this helps to clarify things for you.
ognik
Trying to follow some text:

Given a Gaussian-like distribution for a wave packet, ie a symmetric distribution of $k_x$ about a mean value $ \bar{k}_x $. Making the change of variable $u=k_x - \bar{k}_x$, they write the Fourier transform as: $\psi(x,0) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} e^{i\bar{k}_x x}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi(u+\bar{k}_x) e^{iux} \,du $ - so far I follow.

Then they say "It is easy to see for any number of simple examples that the width $\Delta k_x$ of the amplitude $\phi$ and the width $\Delta x$ of the wave packet $\psi$ stand in a reciprocal relationship: $\Delta x \Delta k_x \approx 1$

Please explain how they get that?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! It's great that you're trying to understand the concept behind the reciprocal relationship between the widths of the amplitude and the wave packet. Let me explain it to you in more detail.

Firstly, let's consider the Gaussian-like distribution for a wave packet, where the wavepacket is symmetric about a mean value $\bar{k}_x$. This means that the wavepacket has a central peak at $\bar{k}_x$ and the values of $k_x$ are distributed symmetrically around it.

Now, when we make the change of variable $u=k_x - \bar{k}_x$, we essentially shift the origin of the distribution from $\bar{k}_x$ to 0. This allows us to write the Fourier transform as $\psi(x,0) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} e^{i\bar{k}_x x}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi(u+\bar{k}_x) e^{iux} \,du$. This is because the Fourier transform gives us the amplitude of the wave at a given position $x$ in terms of the wave's frequency $k_x$.

Now, let's consider the width of the amplitude $\phi$. This width is given by $\Delta k_x$, which represents the spread of values of $k_x$ in the distribution. Similarly, the width of the wave packet $\psi$ is given by $\Delta x$, which represents the spread of positions $x$ in the distribution.

Here comes the interesting part. As we can see from the Fourier transform, the wavepacket $\psi$ is essentially a superposition of waves with different frequencies $k_x$. And since the amplitude $\phi$ represents the strength of each frequency in the wavepacket, it is directly related to the width of the wavepacket.

Now, if we have a wide spread of frequencies in the wavepacket (i.e. a large $\Delta k_x$), then we will have a narrow spread of positions in the wavepacket (i.e. a small $\Delta x$). This is because the amplitude $\phi$ will have a larger contribution from each frequency, resulting in a more localized wavepacket.

Conversely, if we have a narrow spread of frequencies (i.e. a small $\Delta k_x$), then we will have a wider spread of positions (i.e. a larger $\Delta x$). This is because the amplitude $\phi$ will have

Related to How Does the Uncertainty Principle Relate to Wave Packet Spread?

What is the uncertainty relationship?

The uncertainty relationship, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely you know the position of a particle, the less precisely you can know its momentum, and vice versa.

What is the significance of the uncertainty relationship?

The uncertainty relationship has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles on a quantum level. It shows that there is a fundamental limit to how precisely we can know certain properties of a particle at any given time.

What is the mathematical expression of the uncertainty relationship?

The mathematical expression of the uncertainty relationship is ∆x∆p ≥ h/4π, where ∆x represents the uncertainty in position, ∆p represents the uncertainty in momentum, and h is Planck's constant.

How does the uncertainty relationship relate to the observer effect?

The uncertainty relationship is closely related to the observer effect, which states that the act of observing a particle can affect its behavior. In other words, the more precisely we try to measure a particle's position, the more we disturb its momentum, and vice versa.

Can the uncertainty relationship be violated?

No, the uncertainty relationship is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been shown to hold true in all experiments and observations. It is a fundamental limit to our understanding of the behavior of particles on a quantum level.