Uncovering the Hidden Treasures of Dead Metaphors

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, dead metaphors are metaphors that have lost their figurative value and are only used for comedic or ironic purposes.
Mk
This thread is here to point out the great, yet underated dead metaphors in the English language... A ''dead metaphor'' is a metaphor that through overuse has lost figurative value.

Like understand, mantel, running out of time, grasping an idea...

I'll think'a some more...

Physics news on Phys.org
Good idea, Mk. Just be sure you give it the whole nine yards!

On second thought, no one seems to care about this topic. People aren't exactly going balls to the wall in rushing to post here.

Probably afraid someone will respond to their post by going postal (okay, most probably know what this means, but it will soon join those other sayings where you had to be there to understand how the saying came about).

My favorite saying (regardless of dead or living metaphor):

Don't try to teach your grandma to suck eggs.

Last edited:
Surely "running out of time" is as alive as it ever has been?

Anyway, "Going postal"? What's that all about?

brewnog said:
Surely "running out of time" is as alive as it ever has been?

Anyway, "Going postal"? What's that all about?

It referes to when postal workers would go kinda nuts and carry around bombs wrapped as mail, then threaten people and stuff. So it means to act kinda crazy... least that's what i knew it to mean.
how about... i didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday... that's really overkill at my house..

Wow, you have some pretty crazy postmen. They should just keep their shirts on.

brewnog said:
Wow, you have some pretty crazy postmen. They should just keep their shirts on.

The US Postal Service is notorious for being an extremely stressful and demanding workplace. In the mid-90's, there were a series of incidents in which recently laid-off postal workers came back to work with guns and mass murder ensued. Ever since, "going postal" has been synonymous with the act of snapping under the weight of that last straw and flipping out (though not necessarily becoming murderous).

Gale17 said:
It referes to when postal workers would go kinda nuts and carry around bombs wrapped as mail, then threaten people and stuff. So it means to act kinda crazy... least that's what i knew it to mean.
how about... i didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday... that's really overkill at my house..
See, its roots are already becoming obscure. It refers to violence in the workplace. There were a couple incidents where postal employees went over the edge and shot their boss and/or coworkers. The incidents happened pretty close together, hence coining a new term for going violently insane.

(Interestingly, my workplaces's firewall won't let me search for 'postal employees' and 'workplace violence' in the same search. Great, I've probably triggered some alarm that will result in me being constantly monitored for signs of instability.)

Another fairly recent metaphor that will wind up in this category:

"Houston, we have a problem."

Plus an old one that many on GD would appreciate:

"One over the eight."

And one more:

"Put a sock in it." (Old gramaphones didn't have a volume control, so a sock was used to make the music quieter).

Edit: I don't think the OP was referring to metaphors that are no longer used. I believe he meant metaphors that have become separated from their root - a metaphor where your meaning is clear even though the metaphor makes little or no sense if taken literally.

Last edited:
"Hey, hip cats."
"Don't have a cow, man."
"Those are some nice shades, cool daddio."
"You're from coolsville."
"Waddup homez?"
...:devil:

"Hey, hip cats."
"Don't have a cow, man."
"Waddup homez?"

those aren't metaphors :)

Meh.. I'm pretty tired.. but what about the second and third? (And perhaps the fourth?)
Or calling someone a "chrome dome"?

I still say "whaddup homez?"

"Hey, hip cats."
"Don't have a cow, man."
"Waddup homez?"

The first, second and forth are.

"Heavy metal" perhaps?
"Walking on air"
"Tajikistan" In Persian, taj means "crown" and ik means "head," "people wearing a crowns on their head."
"Run (machine)" Run originally came from either the Sanskrit rin' ati meaning "causes to flow", or probably the Latin rivus, meaning stream... so runny nose is actually the right way to use it, whereas "the car is running" is not... is a metaphor responsible for this?

ArrrrrrrrGgggggggggggggg!

Heh, I burst out laughing... again! It happens everytime...

Last edited:
Coolsville is only metaphorical is you're referring to a state of being. If you're referring to an actual geographical location as "Coolsville," then it's just a hepcat adjective.

You people should quit beating a dead horse. :smile:

loseyourname said:
Coolsville is only metaphorical is you're referring to a state of being. If you're referring to an actual geographical location as "Coolsville," then it's just a hepcat adjective.
What's that?

Artman said:
You people should quit beating a dead horse. :smile:
What else are we supposed to do?

You can't lateral a horse.
(I'm shocked this one never caught on. It's roots are two interesting stories about blunders a couple of radio sports anouncers made.)

"Thread killers"
"Thread"
"Post"
"String"

Beat around the bush

I'll buy that for a dollar
All that and a box of rocks
daddy needs a new pair of shoes
soylent green is people! (perhaps not a metaphor but I like to yell it loudly at inopportune times, hospitals, movie theathres, coitus)
the check is in the mail

Actually I might say any of these things at any time. Its entertaining to thingk of the possibilities.

As a "rule of thumb", you shouldn't beat a dead horse, just your wife.

Given the weather around here, I've had to explain to most of my younger friends when I've complained of nearly being trampled by a flock of brass monkeys running for cover. :biggrin:

And yeah, I still use 'balls to the wall' all the time. Strangely enough, nobody's asked about that one.

There's one you never hear because I coined it (well, mixed metaphors): You can lead a horse to fire, but you can't make him smoke. :confused:

Last week, my 20 yr old brother was expressing his anxiety about applying for jobs, and my Mom told him, "Don't worry, honey. Everybody goes through that - so you don't have to feel like the Lone Ranger."
My brother instantly replied, "Who's the Lone Ranger?"
:rofl:
I've been teasing Mom about this quite a bit. Yesterday I was telling her "yeah, y'know, there's plenty of people in the same boat as I am, working full-time and going to school, so I don't feel like the Lone Ranger.. whoever the hell that is." :biggrin:

Hi-Ho Silver Away!

And goodnight once again,
Huck

Zygotic Embryo said:
Beat around the bush
Oh really? What did the original metaphor mean?

I was just thinking about this thread today when someone said she "feeled like crap" :uhh:

Not a metaphor really, but just a word that seems to have slipped almost entirely out of the English language bar in one context. I'd wager that most people wouldn't know precisely what it meant.
"Requite"

I don't think I've ever heard it used unless someone was saying "unrequited love".

Mk said:
Oh really? What did the original metaphor mean?
Although I'm not positive, I believe that it referred to flushing game out of hiding during hunting.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. (But do check elsewhere in its anatomy for Greek soldiers :biggrin: )

lock, stock and barrel

three sheets to the wind (already explained in another thread)

dead ringer

knock wood

matthyaouw said:
I don't think I've ever heard it used unless someone was saying "unrequited love".
I've heard it used incorrectly a few times, in place of 'redeem'. Specifically, someone tried to 'requite himself'.

three on a match

go off half-cocked

say 'cheese'

hit paydirt

fly (as in pants)

to 'goose' someone

build up a full head of steam

a tinker's dam

Not really and English language item, but something people may not realize that they do almost every day.

the handshake (as I understand it, originally to show the person you come across that you are unarmed.)

akula said:
Not really and English language item, but something people may not realize that they do almost every day.

the handshake (as I understand it, originally to show the person you come across that you are unarmed.)
No, the salute originated in the middle ages and was originally to show the person you came across that you were unarmed. The handshake is more ancient. While a few suppose the reason for its origin could be similar to that of the salute, its origin goes back beyond recorded history and isn't really known (the Egyptians explained that the handshake was a gift from God, for example).

BobG said:
No, the salute originated in the middle ages and was originally to show the person you came across that you were unarmed.
I understood that the salute originated from armoured knights raising their face guards so as to be recognized.

Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split ya.

A neighbor use to say that every time you left his house...aagghhhhh!

Men are pigs.

Girls are bugs.

Hmm. Maybe those haven't outgrown their usefulness!

"The rule of thumb" was an old English law allowing a husband to beat his wife with a switch no larger circumference than the size of his thumb. It was thought to be a good or general measure. Hence, the modern meaning of the term.

BobG said:
"Put a sock in it." (Old gramaphones didn't have a volume control, so a sock was used to make the music quieter).
And all this time I thought it pertained to keeping a certain part of the body warm. Oh! That's "in" it - got it.
Huckleberry said:
...soylent green is people! (perhaps not a metaphor but I like to yell it loudly at inopportune times, hospitals, movie theathres, coitus).
If you want some real excitement, just yell "Bingo" in a bingo hall. :bugeye:
Danger said:
[Regarding beating around the bush] Although I'm not positive, I believe that it referred to flushing game out of hiding during hunting.
Right, that would be followed by going off half-cocked. (hehe)
Selfless said:
"The rule of thumb" was an old English law allowing a husband to beat his wife with a switch no larger circumference than the size of his thumb. It was thought to be a good or general measure. Hence, the modern meaning of the term.
It's a good thing you clarified this--I was about to see where the Tsu Mobile was. Welcome to PF. :smile:

Last edited: