Uncovering the Mechanics of Thrust in a Turbojet Engine

In summary: The thrust is equal to the static pressure after the turbine minus the lower static pressure before the compressor.
tsimon
Hi! I have a question about how thrust is made from a turbojet engine.

The most common explanation goes something like "As the fluid gets accelerated there is a net force". I don't think this explanation is either good nor rigorous.

The force that accelerates the fluid is, of course, the same force that is the thrust but where does that force come from and where does it operate?

Is the thrust equal to the static pressure after the turbine minus the lower static pressure before the compressor? I don't think this is right, but it is my only guess.

Cheers, Simon.

Science news on Phys.org
tsimon said:
Hi! I have a question about how thrust is made from a turbojet engine.

The most common explanation goes something like "As the fluid gets accelerated there is a net force". I don't think this explanation is either good nor rigorous.
You might argue about whether it is good English, but the basic phyiscs is right.

Force = rate of change of momentum. The air has a higher momentum when it leaves the engine than when it enters it. In other words, since the mass of the air doesn't change, its veloicty is higher when it leaves.

To increase the air velocity you have to supply energy, which comes from burning the fuel.

In principle you can calculate the thrust by adding up the priessure distribution over the whole surface of the engine casing (taking account of the different cross section areas of different parts, of course), but that is not the CAUSE of the thrust, it is just the way that the thrust is transmitted from the air into the structure of the engine, and then (through the engine mountings) into the plane.

It is definitely not wrong, altough it doesn't explain where the pressures that gives the thrust are "operating" or how the pressure is created.

Related to Uncovering the Mechanics of Thrust in a Turbojet Engine

What is thrust from a turbojet engine?

Thrust from a turbojet engine is the force that propels an aircraft forward. It is generated by the exhaust gases that are expelled from the engine at high speeds.

What factors affect the thrust of a turbojet engine?

The thrust of a turbojet engine is affected by factors such as the amount of air entering the engine, the speed at which the air enters, and the size and shape of the engine's nozzle.

How is thrust created in a turbojet engine?

Thrust is created in a turbojet engine through a process called the Brayton cycle. This involves compressing air, adding fuel and igniting it, and then expanding the hot gases to create a powerful force that propels the aircraft forward.

What is the difference between static thrust and dynamic thrust?

Static thrust is the amount of force produced by an engine when the aircraft is not moving. Dynamic thrust, on the other hand, takes into account the speed of the aircraft and the amount of air flowing through the engine to calculate the actual force propelling the aircraft forward.

How is the thrust of a turbojet engine measured?

The thrust of a turbojet engine is typically measured in pounds or newtons. This measurement is obtained through the use of a thrust stand, which is a device that measures the force generated by the engine when it is running at full power.