Undefined Limit - e^x-1/x^2 as x Approaches 0?

• Thread starter dan38
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: I go from here then?Plug in the value x=0.Indeed, l'Hopitals rule only applies to situations like \frac{0}{0}~\text{and}~\frac{\pm \infty}{\pm \infty}oh i see, thanks!doing a question: x^2*e^x with x---> infinitychanged it tox^2/e^(-x)As x goes to infinity, the numerator goes to infinity and e-x goes to 0. micromass had just told you that you cannot use L'Hopitals rule for that
dan38

Homework Statement

Don't understand why the limit (e^x - 1)/x^2 is undefined as x approaches 0?
Can't you use L'hopital's rule to get the value as 1/2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
L'hopitals rule certainly applies here. But I don't see how you use that to get 1/2. Perhaps you can provide your work?

(e^x - 1) / x^2
Differentiate top and bottom
e^x / 2x
Differentiate top and bottom
e^x / 2
Sub in x = 0
1/2?

you applied l'Ho(s)pital's rule the second time, when it was not of the indeterminate form. What is the limit of e^x/(2x)?

I'm not sure why, but I suspect there may be a subtlety here in how l'Hopital's rule can be applied because l'Hopital should be a simple shortcut in lieu of a Taylor series, yet a Taylor series analysis yields (e^x-1)/x^2 -> (x + x^2/2 + ...)/x^2 -> 1/x + 1/2.

I don't understand algebrat, you can't divide by zero?

He's saying that l'Hopital's rule only applies when you have an indeterminate form: things like [itex]0 \times \infty[/itex] are indeterminate, as is [itex]0/0[/itex], but in the context of limits, [itex]1/0[/itex], while undefined, is not indeterminate. [itex]1/0[/itex] either gives [itex]\pm \infty[/itex] or the limit does not exist, as in this case.

Indeed, l'Hopitals rule only applies to situations like

[tex]\frac{0}{0}~\text{and}~\frac{\pm \infty}{\pm \infty}[/tex]

Now the situation is [itex]\frac{1}{0}[/itex], so we can not appy L'Hopitals rule.

oh i see, thanks!
doing a question: x^2*e^x with x---> infinity
changed it to
x^2/e^(-x)
used L'hopital's rule
2x/-e^(-x)
and again
2/e^(-x)
where do I go from here? :S

You've missed the point. You can't just apply l'Hopital's rule whenever you want. You can only apply it when the functions in the limit would evaluate to something indeterminate. After you applied l'Hopital once, you got, essentially, [itex]\infty/0[/itex]. This is not indeterminate. You can't apply l'Hopital again.

Honestly, I would recommend abandoning l'Hopital's rule and just Taylor expanding things. It may require a little extra crunching, but it's a lot more unambiguous and idiot-proof.

dan38,

Don't understand why the limit (e^x - 1)/x^2 is undefined as x approaches 0?
Can't you use L'hopital's rule to get the value as 1/2?

The limit of the term as x-->0 is not defined because it is +∞ when x-->0+ and -∞ when x-->0- . The limit has to be defined in order to use L'Hospital's rule.

Ratch

2x/-e^(-x)
so how would I go from here then?

Plug in the value x=0.

micromass said:
Indeed, l'Hopitals rule only applies to situations like

[tex]\frac{0}{0}~\text{and}~\frac{\pm \infty}{\pm \infty}[/tex]

dan38 said:
oh i see, thanks!
doing a question: x^2*e^x with x---> infinity
changed it to
x^2/e^(-x)
As x goes to infinity, the numerator goes to infinity and e-x goes to 0. micromass had just told you that you cannot use L'Hopitals rule for that. And you don't need to. The numerator of a fraction going to infinity while the denominator goes to 0, the fraction goes to infinity. Actually, that should have been obvious from the start. [itex]x^2e^x[/itex] is the product of two functions both of which go to infinity.

Using L'hopital's rule
2x/-e^(-x)
and again
2/e^(-x)
where do I go from here? :S

dan38,

2x/-e^(-x)
so how would I go from here then?

You don't go anywhere. That function's limit is undefined. It has a one value when x-> is approached from the left, and another value when approached from the right. Isn't that what I said earlier?

Ratch

What is an undefined limit?

An undefined limit is a limit where the value of the function approaches either positive or negative infinity, or the function has a discontinuity at the given point. This means that the limit does not exist and cannot be determined.

What is the function e^x-1/x^2?

The function e^x-1/x^2 is an exponential function with a polynomial in the denominator. It is commonly used in calculus to study the behavior of functions at a given point, especially when the limit approaches 0.

How do you find the limit of e^x-1/x^2 as x approaches 0?

To find the limit of e^x-1/x^2 as x approaches 0, you can use the L'Hôpital's rule or the algebraic limit theorem. The L'Hôpital's rule states that if the limit of a quotient of two functions exists, then the limit of the quotient of their derivatives exists and is equal to the limit of the original quotient. The algebraic limit theorem states that if the limit of a quotient of two functions exists, then the limit of the product of the functions exists and is equal to the product of their limits.

What is the value of the limit of e^x-1/x^2 as x approaches 0?

The value of the limit of e^x-1/x^2 as x approaches 0 is undefined. This is because the function has a discontinuity at x=0, with the denominator approaching 0 and the numerator approaching 1. This leads to a value that approaches positive or negative infinity, meaning the limit does not exist.

Why is the function e^x-1/x^2 important in calculus?

The function e^x-1/x^2 is important in calculus because it is used to study the behavior of functions at a given point, especially when the limit approaches 0. It also appears in many applications, such as in the study of growth and decay, optimization problems, and differential equations. Understanding the behavior of this function can help in solving a variety of mathematical problems and real-world situations.