1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergraduate College Decision Help

1. Apr 21, 2007 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm new here and am hoping you could give me a hand with my decision. I highly doubt this is deserving of its own thread, but I would really appreciate the help. I plan to major in physics, or at least a subject in a similar vein. I've narrowed my choice down to two schools, Carnegie Mellon and Rensselaer PI. In a strictly financial sense, they're relatively equal, but Rensselaer does have a slight edge. Could anyone please shed any insight on which would be the better choice?

Thank you for any information.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2007 #2

I got accepted to RPI and turned it down. If you look at their physics department you will notice only 22 professors. Quite a few of those professors are from foreign countries. With that in mind I decided no. RPI does give a very nice financial aid package however. RPI is more engineering than pure science oriented.

I don't know much about Carnegie Mellon, except that they have a good Comp Sci program.

I wound up choosing UT for myself next year.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?