Undergraduate Research in Science/Physics Education

In summary, a physics undergraduate student is seeking undergraduate research opportunities in education. They have spoken to professors and have some lined up, but are also looking for other possibilities, such as an NSF-funded REU. They have searched through NSF's list and prominent programs like Harvard and Berkeley, but have not found anything in the education field. They are asking for suggestions or directions to look. Additionally, the student has found that Kansas State offers education research as a project option for their physics REU, and suggests looking through old physics journals in the department for more information.
rsenk326
I am a physics undergraduate student and have a passion for education research. I have spoken to some professors I know that work in that field and have some possible undergraduate research opportunities lined up, but I was wondering if anybody knew of any other undergraduate research opportunities, possibly some REU that is NSF funded. I looked through NSF's list of funded REUs, but didn't find anything in the education field. I also looked into some of the more prominent programs like Harvard's GSE and Berkeley's Education Graduate Program, but to no avail. If anybody knows of a program I should look into, or could maybe point me in a direction to look, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kansas State has education research as a project option for their physics REU.

http://www.phys.ksu.edu/reu/2012-per-projects.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I know at my school a lot of that information could be found in old physics journals lying around..Try walking through the physics department and seeing what they have lying around and hanging on walls.

1. What is undergraduate research in science/physics education?

Undergraduate research in science/physics education refers to the involvement of undergraduate students in the process of conducting original scientific research in the field of physics education. This can include designing and carrying out experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and presenting findings at scientific conferences or publications.

2. Why is undergraduate research important in science/physics education?

Undergraduate research allows students to gain hands-on experience with the scientific method and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides opportunities for students to work closely with mentors and collaborate with peers, promoting a deeper understanding of scientific concepts and fostering a passion for science.

3. How can I get involved in undergraduate research in science/physics education?

There are several ways to get involved in undergraduate research in science/physics education. You can approach professors or researchers at your institution and express your interest in their research, or look for research opportunities through your school's science department or undergraduate research programs. You can also reach out to organizations or conferences related to physics education for potential research opportunities.

4. What are the benefits of participating in undergraduate research in science/physics education?

Participating in undergraduate research can provide a multitude of benefits, including gaining valuable hands-on experience in scientific research, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and building a strong foundation for a career in the field of science. Additionally, it can enhance your resume and academic profile, and may even lead to opportunities for publication or further research.

5. Is undergraduate research in science/physics education only for students majoring in science or physics?

No, undergraduate research in science/physics education is open to students from all majors and backgrounds. While a background in science or physics may be helpful, it is not a requirement. Many research projects involve interdisciplinary collaboration and welcome contributions from students with diverse academic backgrounds.