Undergraduate thesis topic ideas in medical physics

In summary, there is interest in modifying conventional machines and devices to deliver and measure radiation at high dose rates, and there is evidence that when radiation is delivered at very high dose dates, toxicities that are induced at more conventional dose rates can be avoided.
fullsunn
I am a junior applied physics major. I am supposed to write my thesis topic proposal but honestly have no idea what to do. I wrote a proposal about using bipolar junction transistors to create a dosimeter but there are already studies on it and honestly, I am not sure about it so I am trying to find a new topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of projects in medical physics depend on what equipment, software, and/or data is available to you. As an undergraduate you won't be expected to develop something novel, though you might be able to get involved with a collaboration and take on a sub-project of something larger. This is a question you should speak with your professors about.

Here are some hot topics in medical physics right now:
  1. Dosiomics and outcome prediction
    Historically we prescribe and constrain radiotherapy treatment plans using first order scoring metrics: mean dose to a volume, max dose, etc., but there's some evidence that higher order metrics that allow us to grade things like texture or other patterns in the dose maps (dosiomics) may influence treatment outcomes as well.
  2. Radiomics and disease detection
    Similarly, higher order patterns in CT, MRI and PET images can improve our ability to detect cancers. Or, there is a lot of open source data on COVID-19, and lot of people have been developing machine-learning tools to help identify the presence of COVID-19 on CT scans. You could, even take that further to outcome prediction, attempting to identify those patients likely to progress to severe stages of the disease and who would benefit from some of the newer anti-viral interventions.
  3. Flash RT
    There's some evidence that when radiation is delivered at very high dose dates (above about 40 Gy/s), toxicities that are induced at more conventional dose rates can be avoided. There's a big question right now about why this is, and lots of interest in modifying conventional machines and devices to deliver and measure radiation at high dose rates.
  4. Linac-MRI Hybrid Machines
    There are now a number of commercially available machines that combine therapeutic linear accelerators (or Co-60 sources) and MRI units so that the soft-tissue contrast of MRI can be used to guide radiation delivery. But these introduce magnetic fields into the mechanics of radiation transport, and this can lead to a lot of interesting questions about magnetic fields can influence detectors, dose distributions, etc.

Likes berkeman and fullsunn
Choppy said:
A lot of projects in medical physics depend on what equipment, software, and/or data is available to you. As an undergraduate you won't be expected to develop something novel, though you might be able to get involved with a collaboration and take on a sub-project of something larger. This is a question you should speak with your professors about.

Here are some hot topics in medical physics right now:
  1. Dosiomics and outcome prediction
    Historically we prescribe and constrain radiotherapy treatment plans using first order scoring metrics: mean dose to a volume, max dose, etc., but there's some evidence that higher order metrics that allow us to grade things like texture or other patterns in the dose maps (dosiomics) may influence treatment outcomes as well.
  2. Radiomics and disease detection
    Similarly, higher order patterns in CT, MRI and PET images can improve our ability to detect cancers. Or, there is a lot of open source data on COVID-19, and lot of people have been developing machine-learning tools to help identify the presence of COVID-19 on CT scans. You could, even take that further to outcome prediction, attempting to identify those patients likely to progress to severe stages of the disease and who would benefit from some of the newer anti-viral interventions.
  3. Flash RT
    There's some evidence that when radiation is delivered at very high dose dates (above about 40 Gy/s), toxicities that are induced at more conventional dose rates can be avoided. There's a big question right now about why this is, and lots of interest in modifying conventional machines and devices to deliver and measure radiation at high dose rates.
  4. Linac-MRI Hybrid Machines
    There are now a number of commercially available machines that combine therapeutic linear accelerators (or Co-60 sources) and MRI units so that the soft-tissue contrast of MRI can be used to guide radiation delivery. But these introduce magnetic fields into the mechanics of radiation transport, and this can lead to a lot of interesting questions about magnetic fields can influence detectors, dose distributions, etc.
Thank you! I'll check these out.

Choppy said:
Flash RT
Interesting! Can you give a link or two for further reading? Thanks.

1. What are some popular undergraduate thesis topic ideas in medical physics?

Some popular undergraduate thesis topics in medical physics include radiation therapy optimization, image reconstruction techniques, and medical imaging technology advancements.

2. How can I come up with a unique thesis topic in medical physics?

One way to come up with a unique thesis topic in medical physics is to research current trends and advancements in the field and identify a gap or area that has not been extensively studied. You can also consult with your advisor or professors for their suggestions and advice.

3. Can I combine medical physics with another field for my undergraduate thesis?

Yes, you can combine medical physics with another field such as biology, chemistry, or computer science for your undergraduate thesis. This can provide a unique and interdisciplinary perspective on a particular topic.

4. How do I ensure that my undergraduate thesis topic in medical physics is feasible?

To ensure that your thesis topic is feasible, it is important to consult with your advisor and discuss your ideas. They can provide guidance on the scope of your project and whether it is realistic to complete within the given time frame.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with my undergraduate thesis in medical physics?

Yes, there are various resources available to help you with your undergraduate thesis in medical physics. Your university library may have relevant books and journals, and you can also attend conferences and workshops to learn more about current research in the field. Additionally, your advisor and professors can provide valuable guidance and support throughout the process.