Understand the Properties of Functions

In summary, to show that 2f(3x + 1) = -6x, we simply substitute (3x+1) for x in the function f(x) = 1-x and simplify to get -6x, proving the statement.
mvola

Homework Statement

Given f(x) = 1-x
Show that 2f(3x + 1) = -6x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried many approaches, but I seem to be missing something. The latest approach was as follows and did not work.

Divide by 2.
f(3x + 1) = -3x
f(3x) + f(1) = -3x
3f(x) + f(1) = -3x
3(1-x) + 0 = -3x
3 - 3x = -3x
3 = 0 which is obviously not true.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
mvola said:

Homework Statement

Given f(x) = 1-x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried many approaches, but I seem to be missing something. The latest approach was as follows and did not work.

Divide by 2.
f(3x + 1) = -3x
f(3x) + f(1) = -3x
3f(x) + f(1) = -3x
3(1-x) + 0 = -3x
3 - 3x = -3x
3 = 0 which is obviously not true.

Can anyone help me out with this?

You are going about this completely the wrong way and using properties of f that aren't even true. To find f(3x+1) just substitute (3x+1) for x in 1-x. Doesn't that make more sense?

mvola said:

Homework Statement

Given f(x) = 1-x

##2f(3x+1)=2(1-(3x+1))=2(-3x)=-6x##.

Think of it this way: If ##f(x)=1-x##, then ##f(Lemon \, cake) = 1 - (Lemon \, cake)##, in the unlikely event that the quantity 1-(Lemon cake) is defined.

I was over-thinking it. Thank you!

What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that relates an input value to an output value. It is a rule or relationship between two quantities, where every input has exactly one output.

What are the different types of functions?

There are several types of functions, including linear, quadratic, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. Each type has its own unique properties and graphs.

How do I determine the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. To determine the domain, look at the restrictions on the input values, and to determine the range, look at the output values produced by the function.

What is the difference between a function and an equation?

A function is a relationship between two quantities, while an equation is a statement that two expressions are equal. An equation can be used to represent a function, but not all equations are functions.

Why is it important to understand the properties of functions?

Understanding the properties of functions is crucial in many fields of science, including physics, economics, and engineering. Functions help us model and understand real-world phenomena and make predictions based on data. They also serve as building blocks for more complex mathematical concepts.