Understanding Cofficient of Drag

• Thread starter Dieseltwitch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drag
In summary, The formula for finding drag using the coefficient of drag, as found on the NASA website, is Drag = Coefficient * [ (Density * Velocity ^2)* .5 ] * reference area. When using the numbers CD = 0.31, Ref Area = 8 sq ft, Velocity = 75 fps, and density = 24 in Hg, the resulting calculation is 167,400. However, the units for this calculation are unclear. To determine the correct units, dimensional analysis can be used, as recommended by the conversation participants. This involves breaking down the units of each variable and using basic principles of measurement to determine the final units.
Dieseltwitch
Ok so i have looked and looked for a simple way to under stand how to find drag using the coefficient of drag.

the formula i found is off of NASA website and it reads

Drag = Coefficient * [ (Density * Velocity ^2)* .5 ] * reference area

here is my question
what units do i use.
When i set it up with these numbers
CD = 0.31 (unitless i know)
Ref Area = 8 sq ft (ruff guess)
Velocity = 75 fps
density = 24 in Hg

I end up with 167,400. but i know no clue as to what unit that is? should i be putting every thing in with different units... what is the end units?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do dimensional analysis.

At the risk of sounding like a moron... HUH?

Can you post a link to the site? Doing a quick dimensional analysis gives a consistent result:

[drag] = ML/T^2 (force, M = mass, L = length, T = time)

but you have odd units of density: pressure? It should be M/L^3

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/drageq.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Please google dimensional analysis.

Hint: You can find this also in any chemistry book.

What is the coefficient of drag?

The coefficient of drag is a dimensionless quantity that represents the resistance of an object moving through a fluid, such as air or water. It is a measure of the aerodynamic efficiency of an object.

How is the coefficient of drag calculated?

The coefficient of drag is calculated by dividing the drag force acting on an object by the product of the fluid density, the object's velocity, and the reference area. This calculation is typically done through experiments in a wind tunnel or through computer simulations.

What factors affect the coefficient of drag?

The coefficient of drag is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the fluid density and viscosity, the object's velocity, and the roughness of the object's surface. These factors can also be manipulated to alter the coefficient of drag and improve the object's aerodynamic performance.

How does the coefficient of drag impact an object's motion?

The coefficient of drag directly affects the amount of drag force acting on an object, which in turn affects the object's motion. A higher coefficient of drag means a greater amount of resistance, making it more difficult for the object to move through the fluid.

Why is it important to understand the coefficient of drag?

Understanding the coefficient of drag is crucial in many fields, such as aerodynamics, automotive engineering, and sports science. It allows scientists and engineers to design more efficient and streamlined objects, reducing drag and improving performance. It also helps in predicting the motion and behavior of objects moving through a fluid.