Understanding Divide-by-N Counters: Exploring Binary and Decimal Counting

• Thread starter mathman44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counter
In summary, the conversation discusses the design and function of two types of counters - a regular counter and a divide-by-N counter. The counter counts in binary and the 4-bit input represents the number it counts to before resetting. The first question addresses the use of 2's complement in the divide-by-N counter to achieve a desired output, while the second question asks about designing a "base 10" counter using this circuit. The conversation also mentions the use of additional components to detect and reload the counter for a "base 10" output.
mathman44

Homework Statement

rwuc2d.jpg

Fig (a) is a counter, fig (b) is a divide-by-N counter (0 < N < 16).

The 4-bit input ABCD is (I think) what the counter counts to before resetting.

Questions

#1: For circuit (b): Say you want a divide-by-9. Why is it that to do this, the 2's complement of 9 (0111) is loaded into inputs ABCD, rather than 9 in binary (1001)?

#2: Using this same circuit, how could I make a counter that counts in base 10 rather than 16?

The Attempt at a Solution

First question: I think this is because the counter counts to 16 minus the input in binary. So, since the 2's complement of 9 is 16-9, it will count to 16-(16-9) = 9. If this is correct, why does the counter count to 16 minus the input?

Second question: Not sure at all. Any hints?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump >.>

When the counter output is 15 and it gets one more clock pulse, it generates a high output on the carry out.

This is inverted to give a low on the load input.

So, instead of going to zero, the counter loads whatever is on the data inputs... and on the next clock pulse, counts upwards from there until it gets to 15 again.

So, if it loads 4, it will then go 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 4, ...
It took 12 pulses to do this. 16 minus 4 is 12. So, to divide by 12 we load 16 minus 12.

No, you can't use it as a 0 to 9 counter because it always has to go through 15.

Thanks, that makes sense. What about the last question: how could a "base 10" counter be designed using this circuit, as opposed to what we have, a base 16 counter?

No, you can't use it as a 0 to 9 counter because it always has to go through 15.

If you post something then delete it, I still get an email of it.

Yes, you could detect the 9 to 10 change and reload 0 instead. This would require a few extra components.

Related to Understanding Divide-by-N Counters: Exploring Binary and Decimal Counting

1. What is a Divide-by-N counter?

A Divide-by-N counter, also known as a programmable counter or prescaler, is an electronic circuit that divides an input frequency by a factor of N. This allows for the creation of slower clock frequencies from a higher clock source.

2. How does a Divide-by-N counter work?

A Divide-by-N counter works by using a series of flip-flops to count the number of input pulses and then resetting after a predetermined number, N. This results in a lower output frequency that is a fraction of the input frequency.

3. What is the purpose of a Divide-by-N counter?

The main purpose of a Divide-by-N counter is to create a slower clock frequency that is synchronized with the input frequency. This is useful in applications where a slower clock is needed, such as in digital circuits or communication systems.

4. How is the 74LS161 Divide-by-N counter different from other counters?

The 74LS161 is a specific type of Divide-by-N counter known as a synchronous counter. This means that the output frequency is synchronized with the input frequency, resulting in more accurate and reliable counting. It also has a wide range of division ratios, making it versatile for various applications.

5. How can I use a 74LS161 Divide-by-N counter in my project?

The 74LS161 Divide-by-N counter can be used in a variety of projects, such as frequency counters, frequency synthesizers, and clock generators. It is important to carefully read the datasheet and understand the pin configurations to properly integrate the counter into your project.