Understanding Electric Flux and Field Lines in a Uniform Electric Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
aaronfue
Messages
118
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A uniform electric field of magnitude 6.5 [itex]\frac{N}{C}[/itex] passes through a circle of radius 12 cm. What is the electric flux through the circle when its face is perpendicular to the field lines.

The Attempt at a Solution



The only problem with this question is picturing the field lines. I initially thought that "perpendicular" meant 90°.

I tried to apply that angle to the flux formula, but I need to picture this surface? I'd appreciate an explanation of the EF and field lines. Or if there is a website that I can check that explains and shows how electric fields and field lines are shown.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aaronfue said:

Homework Statement



A uniform electric field of magnitude 6.5 [itex]\frac{N}{C}[/itex] passes through a circle of radius 12 cm. What is the electric flux through the circle when its face is perpendicular to the field lines.

The Attempt at a Solution



The only problem with this question is picturing the field lines. I initially thought that "perpendicular" meant 90°.

I tried to apply that angle to the flux formula, but I need to picture this surface? I'd appreciate an explanation of the EF and field lines. Or if there is a website that I can check that explains and shows how electric fields and field lines are shown.

The surface is a disk. And yes, perpendicular means 90 degrees. The E field is normal to the surface. What's the definition of 'flux'? You should be able to look that up. There aren't very many easier flux questions around.
 
Last edited: