Understanding Equivalence Relations & O, o, ~ Notation

In summary: The b as a subscript may just be a reminder that the functions being discussed are on the interval [a,b).In summary, the conversation is about the O, o, and ~ notation in the context of a book discussing integrable and measurable functions. The author is unsure of the meaning of these symbols and the subscript b that appears with them, but has found some information on the ~ symbol indicating an equivalence relation. The b subscript may simply be a reminder of the interval being discussed.
Gear.0
Sorry for such a basic question, but I don't know what they mean by the O, o, and ~ in a book I am reading. I'll write out the whole thing to show what I am asking about as well as to give context.
Those symbols appear in ii) and iii) below. Also note that I wrote them here as having a subscript 'b', but in the book they are actually directly below the O's or the ~, I just couldn't figure you how to get the 'b' below them in LaTeX.

----------------------------------------------

PROPOSITION 3.5 (Comparison theorem) Let [itex]g:\left[ a,b\right[\rightarrow\mathbb{C}[/itex] be an integrable function, and let [itex]f:\left[ a,b\right[\rightarrow\mathbb{C}[/itex] be a measurable function. Then

i) if [itex] \left| f \right| \leq \left| g \right|[/itex], then [itex]f[/itex] is integrable on [itex]\left[ a,b \right[[/itex];
ii) if [itex]f=O_{b}\left( g\right)[/itex] or if [itex]f=o_{b}\left( g\right)[/itex] and if [itex]f[/itex] is integrable on any interval [itex]\left[ a,c\right][/itex] with [itex]c<b[/itex], then [itex]f[/itex] is integrable on [itex]\left[ a,b\right[[/itex];
iii) if [itex]g[/itex] is non-negative, [itex]f[/itex]~[itex]_{b} g[/itex], and [itex]f[/itex] is integrable on any interval [itex]\left[ a,c\right][/itex] with [itex]c<b[/itex], then [itex]f[/itex] is integrable on [itex]\left[ a,b\right[[/itex].

----------------------------------------------

Basically I just have no clue what they mean by the [itex]O_{b}[/itex] and the little o as well, also the ~[itex]_{b}[/itex] is foreign to me.. I was able to find some info on the latter however, I think the '~' refers to an "equivalence relation".

BTW: for the O, o, and ~, the subscript b is actually displayed directly beneath the O, o, or ~ where it appears. I just could not seem to get it to go below in LaTeX.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

The notation is a little strange, as far as the b is concerned. The author may be referring to properties around b.
O means same order (ratio bounded), o means smaller order (ratio -> 0). ~ is similar to O - I am not sure of the distinction the author is making.

Related to Understanding Equivalence Relations & O, o, ~ Notation

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between elements of a set. It is a binary relation that satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. In simpler terms, it is a way of comparing elements of a set to determine if they are "equivalent" or "equal" in some way.

2. How is an equivalence relation denoted?

An equivalence relation is typically denoted using the symbol "~" (tilde). For example, if we have a set of integers and we want to show that two elements are equivalent in terms of being divisible by 3, we can write it as x ~ y, where x and y are integers and "~" represents the equivalence relation.

3. What is the purpose of using "O" and "o" notation in equivalence relations?

The "O" and "o" notation are used in equivalence relations to represent the order of magnitude of a set or its elements. "O" notation is used to denote that two elements are in the same order of magnitude, while "o" notation is used to denote that one element is of a higher order of magnitude than the other. This helps in understanding the relative size or complexity of sets and their elements.

4. How can equivalence relations be applied in real-world situations?

Equivalence relations have various applications in real-world situations, such as in computer science, physics, and social sciences. In computer science, they are used to classify algorithms based on their efficiency, in physics, they are used to describe symmetries and conservation laws, and in social sciences, they are used to study social networks and group dynamics.

5. What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some common examples of equivalence relations include equality (x = y), congruence (x ≡ y mod n), similarity (x ∼ y), and parallelism (x ∥ y). Other examples include divisibility, isomorphism, and homeomorphism, which are used in different mathematical contexts to define equivalence between elements of a set.