Understanding Event Spaces and Probability Domains: Solving Problems A, B, and C

• Thread starter XodoX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary: This is a little harder to answer. I can think of a few reasons why A\bigcapBc=0, but I can't think of a reason why A\bigcupAc=I.
XodoX

Homework Statement

I have some problems that I don't know the answer to.

A) Does there exist an event space, i.e., probability domain that has exactly one set?

B) Is there an event space, i.e. probability domain that has exactly three sets? Is there one that has exactly four sets?

C)If D is an event space, i.e., probability domain and each A and B is in D, then A U B is in D.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think A is yes, B is no, and C I have no clue. The most important is the WHY. Can someone explain to me why it's yes and no? I'm not sure how to explain it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be a good start to consider some discrete sets & the potential subsets of events

- first the single element set {1}, what are the potential subsets?
- now the double element set {1,2}, what are the potential subsets?

if you equate each subset with an event, this may help answer a) & b)

for c) consider any element in A U B, it must be in either A or B... (note the As and Bs here correspond to sets & not questions, hence the use of the lower case)

Last edited:
by the way, I'm guessing a little as the questions not exactly clear what the definitions are

Last edited:
lanedance said:
I think it would be a good start to consider some discrete sets & the potential subsets of events

- first the single element set {1}, what are the potential subsets?
You might also want to consider the subsets of the empty set, with no elements.

- now the double element set {1,2}, what are the potential subsets?

if you equate each subset with an event, this may help answer a) & b)

for c) consider any element in A U B, it must be in either A or B... (note the As and Bs here correspond to sets & not questions, hence the use of the lower case)

Thanks. Got a bunch of definitions he gave us. I didn't think the definitions would matter. It's still the same math after all. The defenition for probability domain is:

The statement that D is a probability domain means that D is a collection of sets such that each of the following statements are true:

1.There is a set I in D such that if A is in D, then A is a subset of I;

2. There is a set O in D such that if A is in D, then O is a subset of A;

3. If A is in D and B is in D, then A[tex]\bigcap[/tex]B is in D;

4. If A is in D, then there is a set Ac in D such that A[tex]\bigcap[/tex]Bc=0 and A[tex]\bigcup[/tex]Ac = I;

This is VERY confusing to me. I can't answer the questions using this definition. Can't figure it out.

1 & 2.

You say "event space" therefore I assume you are referring to the sigma-algebra of the sample space of your Probability Space. If you look up the definition of a sigma-algebra the answer to 1. and 2. becomes quite obvious. Hint: Power sets.

Once again, the definition of a sigma-algebra will make this obvious. Sigma-algebras are imployed when considering Probability Spaces because of their neat ability to be measurable. We like our subsets (events) of probability spaces to be measurable because then we have a well-defined notion of size. This is why a Probability Space is a triple (Probability Measure, Sigma-Algebra, Sample Space) and not just the Sample Space.

Now that you know why probability spaces have associated sigma-algebras, just look up the definition of it - it will have three properties - one of them help you solve 3.

Related to Understanding Event Spaces and Probability Domains: Solving Problems A, B, and C

1. What are sets and event spaces?

Sets and event spaces are mathematical concepts used to describe a collection of objects or events. A set is a well-defined collection of objects, while an event space is a collection of events that may occur.

2. How are sets and event spaces related?

Sets and event spaces are closely related, as an event space is often defined as a set of all possible outcomes of an experiment. In other words, an event space is a set of events.

3. What is the difference between a set and an event space?

The main difference between a set and an event space is that a set is a collection of objects, while an event space is a collection of events. Additionally, a set can contain any type of object, while an event space is typically used to describe the outcomes of a specific experiment or scenario.

4. How are sets and event spaces used in probability?

Sets and event spaces are fundamental concepts in probability theory. They are used to define and calculate the probability of events occurring, based on the sample space (the set of all possible outcomes) and the event space (the set of events of interest).

5. Can sets and event spaces be infinite?

Yes, both sets and event spaces can be infinite. In fact, many real-life scenarios involve infinite sets and event spaces, such as the possible outcomes of rolling a dice or flipping a coin an infinite number of times.