FLP Vol 1 section 30.1: vectors for circular oscillator arrays and equation 30.3

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Special K
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I’m having trouble understanding section 30.1 of FLP Vol 1. Particularly the first figure is causing me struggle. I understand magnitude and phase, such as fig 29-9 when 2 waves are added to get an effective resultant vector. But I’m struggling to see how equation 30.3 is applicable when it’s derived from geometric arguments that the oscillators are in a circle, what the vectors in 30-1 represent, and when this equation is applicable. Could anyone offer insight here, I’m just totally lost on this section.

Thanks, I know it wasn’t a great question, but I follow all the math, I just don’t understand what’s going on physically, and it is also making me not understand fig 30-3.
 
Physics news on Phys.org