Understanding FLP Vol 1, Section 30.1: Struggling w/Magnitude & Phase

In summary, The conversation is about the difficulty in understanding section 30.1 of FLP Vol 1, specifically the first figure and equation 30.3. The person is struggling to see how the equation is applicable and what the vectors in figure 30-1 represent. They are asking for insight and clarification on the physical understanding of the section, as well as its connection to figure 30-3. The person mentions following the math, but not understanding the physical concept. They also mention that FLP may refer to Feynman's lectures in physics and suggest looking at chapter 2 for more information on the graphical method of phasors.
Special K
I’m having trouble understanding section 30.1 of FLP Vol 1. Particularly the first figure is causing me struggle. I understand magnitude and phase, such as fig 29-9 when 2 waves are added to get an effective resultant vector. But I’m struggling to see how equation 30.3 is applicable when it’s derived from geometric arguments that the oscillators are in a circle, what the vectors in 30-1 represent, and when this equation is applicable. Could anyone offer insight here, I’m just totally lost on this section.

Thanks, I know it wasn’t a great question, but I follow all the math, I just don’t understand what’s going on physically, and it is also making me not understand fig 30-3.

Science news on Phys.org
FLP?

Vanadium 50 said:
FLP?
perhaps it's Feynman's lectures in physics.

Fig. 30.1 uses the graphical method of phasors to compute the sum of sine functions with phase differences. Have a look at chapter 2 "Calculation of the intensity by the method of phasors" in:
Intensity of single slit diffraction - SCIPP

1. What is FLP Vol 1, Section 30.1?

FLP Vol 1, Section 30.1 refers to a specific section in the first volume of the textbook "Fundamentals of Linear Programming" that covers the topic of struggling with magnitude and phase.

2. What is magnitude and phase?

Magnitude and phase are two important concepts in the field of signal processing. Magnitude refers to the amount or strength of a signal, while phase refers to the timing or alignment of a signal.

3. Why is understanding magnitude and phase important?

Understanding magnitude and phase is crucial in signal processing because it allows us to analyze and manipulate signals in order to achieve a desired outcome. It is also essential in various applications such as audio and image processing, communication systems, and control systems.

4. What are some common struggles with magnitude and phase?

Some common struggles with magnitude and phase include difficulty in visualizing and interpreting signals in the frequency domain, challenges in accurately measuring the magnitude and phase of a signal, and confusion in applying the concepts to real-world problems.

5. How can I improve my understanding of magnitude and phase?

Improving your understanding of magnitude and phase takes practice and a strong foundation in mathematics and signal processing. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as online tutorials, practice problems, or seeking guidance from a mentor or tutor.