Understanding Friction: Tension & Coefficient of N & T

• Thread starter Warwick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation is about a person being confused about the use of T and n in equations involving tension and friction. The responder clarifies that T stands for tension and n is the normal force, and explains that these equations are typically used in problems involving free body diagrams. They also mention that the weight of an object is represented by W and is equal to the mass multiplied by the gravitational acceleration.
Warwick
I was looking at how a problem was solved and what I did not get was why T was put in this equation or n. I'm a little confused on the tension stuff. I do get how friction works and it's coefficiant. n and T is confusing me. The n is the weight of the object on the surface, I know, but why is it in these equations.

Sum of Fx=T-fk=ma
Sum of Fy=n-m1g=0

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to ask a more specific question ... Problems solving for this kind of problems mostly depend on a free body diagram. T usually stands for tension eg. tension of a string, and n is the normal force acting on an object. The weight of an object W is the mass times gravitational accleration (-g = -9.8m/s^2, Earth system). Hope this answer your question

for your question! I can understand how the concept of tension and the coefficient of friction can be confusing. Let's break it down.

First, let's define what tension and coefficient of friction are. Tension is the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends. It is usually represented by the symbol "T" and is measured in units of force, such as newtons (N). On the other hand, the coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is usually denoted by the symbol "μ" and has no units.

Now, let's look at the equations you mentioned. In the first equation (Sum of Fx=T-fk=ma), "T" represents the tension in the string or rope that is pulling the object. This tension is equal to the force of kinetic friction (fk) acting in the opposite direction, plus the mass of the object (m) multiplied by its acceleration (a). This equation is used to calculate the net force acting on the object in the horizontal direction.

In the second equation (Sum of Fy=n-m1g=0), "n" represents the normal force exerted by the surface on the object. This normal force is equal to the weight of the object (m1g) acting in the downward direction, but since the object is not accelerating in the vertical direction, the sum of forces in the y-direction must equal zero. This equation is used to calculate the normal force exerted by the surface on the object.

So, in summary, tension and the coefficient of friction are used in these equations to help us understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. Tension helps us understand the pulling force on the object, while the coefficient of friction helps us understand the resistance to motion between two surfaces.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the role of tension and the coefficient of friction in these equations. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in understanding friction!

Related to Understanding Friction: Tension & Coefficient of N & T

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact and rub against each other. It acts in the opposite direction of the motion and makes it more difficult for objects to slide or move past each other.

2. How is friction related to tension?

Friction and tension are closely related because tension is one of the factors that can affect the amount of friction between two surfaces. When there is tension on a surface, it can increase or decrease the frictional force depending on the direction and strength of the tension.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is a unitless number that is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the amount of tension needed?

The coefficient of friction can have a significant impact on the amount of tension needed to overcome the frictional force between two surfaces. A higher coefficient of friction means a greater amount of tension is needed to overcome the friction, while a lower coefficient of friction requires less tension.

5. How can understanding friction, tension, and coefficient of friction be applied in real life?

Understanding friction, tension, and coefficient of friction is important in many real-life situations. It can be applied in designing machinery, creating friction-reducing materials, and even in sports such as rock climbing where friction and tension play a significant role in determining success. It is also important in transportation, as it helps us understand how to reduce friction and increase efficiency in vehicles.