Understanding Graph Theory: Exploring K6 and Multidesign Problems

In summary, the project is studying K6 and its three subgraphs, G1, G2, and G3. The multidesign problem involves partitioning another graph into copies of the triple (G1, G2, G3) using at least one of each triple. It is unclear what is meant by "union" and whether the subgraphs should be disjoint. The description is confusingly written and it may be best to skip it and refer to future material for clarification.
nickadams
Hi I was reading a project description for a graph theory REU and I got stuck on a sentence I couldn't understand.

Here is the description and I've bolded the part I don't get.

Consider n dots placed in a circle. These dots are called vertices. Then, if each dot is connected to every other dot by lines (or edges), we have the complete graph on n vertices. We call it Kn. In this project, we will study K6 and look at three subgraphs of K6 which, when taken together, make up K6 in its entirety. In other words, we would write that there are three distinct graphs, G1, G2, G3 such that G1 U G2 U G3 = K6. Given such a triple, (G1, G2, G3), the multidesign problem is to take another graph and partition it into copies of the triple using at least one of each triple.

Does this mean to remove vertices from the "other graph" until you've broken it up to G1, G2, and G3 (and maybe some other stuff in addition)?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's a little confusing. It's not clear what they mean by union. You would assume it's union of the edges and union of the vertices. It's not clear whether the subgraphs are supposed to be disjoint. Usually partitioning a set means breaking it up into a disjoint union. That's confusing in the context of graphs because it would seem to mean that the graph can be broken up into disconnected pieces, which is obviously not the case for K6. You wouldn't remove any vertices because the union is supposed to be the whole thing. So, I'm confused, too. But I wanted to point out that it is pretty confusingly written. If I were you, I would just skip it and try to see what it might mean by reading ahead and seeing how it's used.

1. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model pairwise relations between objects.

2. What are the basic components of a graph?

The basic components of a graph include vertices (also called nodes) and edges. Vertices are points or objects, while edges connect pairs of vertices.

3. How is the degree of a vertex calculated?

The degree of a vertex is the number of edges incident to that vertex. In undirected graphs, the degree is simply the number of edges connected to the vertex. In directed graphs, the degree is the sum of the in-degree (number of edges directed towards the vertex) and the out-degree (number of edges directed away from the vertex).

4. What is a path in a graph?

A path in a graph is a sequence of vertices where each consecutive pair of vertices is connected by an edge. A path can also be defined as a sequence of edges, where each consecutive pair shares a common vertex.

5. How is a graph represented mathematically?

A graph can be represented mathematically using an adjacency matrix or an adjacency list. An adjacency matrix is a square matrix where the rows and columns represent the vertices, and the entries represent whether there is an edge between two vertices. An adjacency list is a collection of lists, where each list represents the vertices adjacent to a specific vertex.