Understanding Higgs Field Theory: Can Particle Mass Be Modified?

In summary: There are things that can be done to particles to accelerate them to near the speed of light which would increase their effective mass, but I don't think we can change their rest mass.In summary, The Higgs field theory explains how particles acquire mass and suggests that the mass of particles is constant. While we can accelerate particles to increase their effective mass, the current theory does not suggest that we can alter their rest mass.
morgan77
Hello,

This is my first post and I'm by no means a professional, but I am trying to sort out my understanding of the Higgs field theory. As I understand it, particles acquire mass through their interaction with the Higgs field, an electron being the "lightest" and a Top Quark being the "heaviest". My---no doubt absurd---question is this: under the current theory, would it be possible for a particle's interaction to be modified through some method? In other words, if it is proven that the Higgs field exists, and if we were to understand it better than we do now, does current theory suggest that we could alter the mass of particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
morgan77 said:
Hello,

This is my first post and I'm by no means a professional, but I am trying to sort out my understanding of the Higgs field theory. As I understand it, particles acquire mass through their interaction with the Higgs field, an electron being the "lightest" and a Top Quark being the "heaviest". My---no doubt absurd---question is this: under the current theory, would it be possible for a particle's interaction to be modified through some method? In other words, if it is proven that the Higgs field exists, and if we were to understand it better than we do now, does current theory suggest that we could alter the mass of particles?

Not too likely. experimental evidence points to constant rest mass for all fundamental particles (neutrinos are a little confusing).

Last edited:

Related to Understanding Higgs Field Theory: Can Particle Mass Be Modified?

1. What is the Higgs field theory and how does it relate to particle mass?

The Higgs field theory is a fundamental concept in particle physics that explains how particles acquire mass. It proposes the existence of a Higgs field that permeates all of space and interacts with particles, giving them mass.

2. Can the Higgs field be modified to change the mass of particles?

The Higgs field cannot be modified as it is a fundamental force of nature. However, the strength of its interaction with particles can vary, resulting in differences in their mass.

3. How was the existence of the Higgs field and the Higgs boson discovered?

The Higgs field and the Higgs boson were first hypothesized by Peter Higgs and other scientists in the 1960s. In 2012, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN confirmed its existence through the detection of the Higgs boson particle.

4. Are there any practical applications of understanding the Higgs field theory?

While the Higgs field theory has greatly advanced our understanding of particle physics, it has not yet led to any practical applications. However, further research in this field may have implications for technological advancements in the future.

5. Is there any evidence that supports the idea of modifying particle mass through the Higgs field?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that particle mass can be directly modified through the Higgs field. However, experiments at the LHC and other particle accelerators continue to provide valuable insights into the behavior of particles and the role of the Higgs field in their mass.