Understanding Index Sets and Unions in Set Theory: Real Analysis Explained

• Thread starter Chantry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Index Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of collections of sets and the use of an index set in real analysis. The notation (a,b) is explained as representing the interval between a and b, and it is used in the examples of U and ^ to represent unions and intersections of sets. The relationship between integers and real numbers is also briefly touched upon. The conversation ends with the question-asker gaining a better understanding of the concept.
Chantry

Homework Statement

I'm reading through the introductory pages of my real analysis book and for some reason I can't wrap my head around this seemingly simple concept. The book is talking about collections of sets and something new to me called the "index set".

I apologize ahead of time, because I don't know how to properly format my formulas.

Let U be the union and ^ be the intersection.

U from n = 1 to infinite of (0,n) = (0,infinite)
^ from n = 1 to infinite of (0,n) = (0,1)

I have no idea what that is supposed to represent.

Another example,

U n = 1 to infinite of (-n,n) = R
^ n = 1 to infinite (-n,n) = (-1,1)

I don't understand where that logical jump comes from. What does the integers have to do with the Reals? and -1,1? I'm completely at a loss to explain what they're trying to get across.

I think I'm missing something vital here, but I think the book is skimming over the subject as it's probably pretty elementary. Can anyone help me fill in the gap?

Homework Equations

There's not really anything to say here. It's basic set theory.

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a simple matter of notation and it's not in the form of a question, so this isn't applicable for my question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you missing the fact that (a,b) is the interval consisting of all real numbers x such that a<x<b?

Definitely missed that completely.

Thanks a lot. It's amazing how the simplest things can sometimes give you so much trouble.

Just to make sure I'm understanding it correctly, the U 1 to infinite of (0,n) is saying you're doing a union of {0, .. Real Values, .., 1} U {0, .., 2} U {0,..,3} .. U {0,..,infinite}, correct?

Yup.

Related to Understanding Index Sets and Unions in Set Theory: Real Analysis Explained

1. What is an index set in set theory?

An index set is a collection of values or symbols that are used to label the elements of a set. These values or symbols can be numbers, letters, or any other type of identifier. Index sets are commonly used in set theory to denote the elements of a set, especially when the set contains a large number of elements.

2. How are index sets used in real analysis?

In real analysis, index sets are used to define sequences and series. A sequence is a set of numbers that are arranged in a specific order, while a series is the sum of a sequence. Index sets are used to label the elements of a sequence or series, making it easier to perform calculations and analyze patterns.

3. What is a union of sets?

A union of sets is a new set that contains all the elements that are present in at least one of the original sets. In other words, it is the combination of all the elements from the individual sets. The notation for a union of sets is ∪, and it is often used in set theory to represent the union operation.

4. How is a union of sets related to an index set?

In set theory, an index set is often used to denote the elements of a union of sets. For example, if we have two sets A and B, the union of these sets can be represented as A∪B. However, if we have a collection of sets An, where n is an element of an index set, the union of these sets can be represented as ∪nAn.

5. Why is it important to understand index sets and unions in set theory?

Understanding index sets and unions in set theory is important because they are essential concepts in mathematics and have many applications in various fields, including computer science, engineering, and economics. These concepts are also fundamental to understanding more complex mathematical concepts, such as functions, limits, and integrals.