Understanding Infinity: Positive vs. Negative Infinity Explained

• MHB
  • Thread starter lastochka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation was about a question involving limits and infinity. The answer was explained using mathematical concepts and a substitution method. The concept of negative and positive infinity was also discussed and clarified. The conversation ended with the questioner expressing their gratitude for the help provided.
lastochka
View attachment 3871
Hello,
sorry I tried to use Latex, but it didn't work...I uploaded picture of what I did instead.
I have a small question about the answer which is infinity why this is positive infinity? I know that correct answer is positive infinity, but I am trying to find explanation why...How do we know it is positive and not negative? Is it only because we are coming from the right side? I am very confused with this question. Also in which case there is negative infinity?
Thank you so much

Attachments

• DSC08639 - Copy (640x480).jpg
    DSC08639 - Copy (640x480).jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Remember to enclose you latex with dollar signs or with the math tag.
So with regards to your question, take the limit of $\sqrt{x^2+7x+1}$ as x goes to $ -\infty$ and the same for x. You will find that the first is equal to $ \infty$ and the second to $- \infty$. Now go back to the original question. You have $\sqrt{x^2+7x+1}-x$. Plug in the solutions. $\infty - (- \infty)$ is equal to $\infty$. I hope that helps. That's the mathematical part. As for the conceptual part, I'll leave that to someone else who can explain better than me. :)

Another method to consider is to make the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=-\frac{1}{x}\)

and our limit becomes:

\(\displaystyle \lim_{u\to0}\frac{\sqrt{u^2-7u+1}+1}{u}=\infty\)

ineedhelpnow said:
Hello. Remember to enclose you latex with dollar signs or with the math tag.
So with regards to your question, take the limit of $\sqrt{x^2+7x+1}$ as x goes to $ -\infty$ and the same for x. You will find that the first is equal to $ \infty$ and the second to $- \infty$. Now go back to the original question. You have $\sqrt{x^2+7x+1}-x$. Plug in the solutions. $\infty - (- \infty)$ is equal to $\infty$. I hope that helps. That's the mathematical part. As for the conceptual part, I'll leave that to someone else who can explain better than me. :)
Thank you so much! I was wandering what I am doing wrong with Latex lol

You said that x will go to negative infinity...is it because it has negative sign?

Thank you again for helping me. I know it is probably easy question, but I am very new to this...

What ineedhelpnow meant was that $\lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}x=-\infty$. So (intuitively), $\lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}\sqrt{x^2+7x+1}-x=\lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}\sqrt{x^2+7x+1}-\lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}x= \infty-(-\infty)=+\infty$.
MarkFL said:
Another method to consider is to make the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=-\frac{1}{x}\)
Now, I just wanted to point something out here that was implied. Notice that for $u=-\frac{1}{x}$, $\lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}-\frac{1}{x}=\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\frac{1}{x}$, which is tending to 0 from the positive side. Thus, in terms of $u$, we have $\lim_{{u}\to{0^+}}u$. So in fact, explicitely, we have $\lim_{u\to0^+}\frac{\sqrt{u^2-7u+1}+1}{u}$. Note that the top is always greater than 0, and $u>0$. A very large number over a very small positive number going to 0 is positive infinity.

Rido12 said:
What ineedhelpnow meant was that $\lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}x=-\infty$. So (intuitively), $\lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}\sqrt{x^2+7x+1}-x=\lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}\sqrt{x^2+7x+1}-\lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}x= \infty-(-\infty)=+\infty$.Now, I just wanted to point something out here that was implied. Notice that for $u=-\frac{1}{x}$, $\lim_{{x}\to{-\infty}}-\frac{1}{x}=\lim_{{x}\to{\infty}}\frac{1}{x}$, which is tending to 0 from the positive side. Thus, in terms of $u$, we have $\lim_{{u}\to{0^+}}u$. So in fact, explicitely, we have $\lim_{u\to0^+}\frac{\sqrt{u^2-7u+1}+1}{u}$. Note that the top is always greater than 0, and $u>0$. A very large number over a very small positive number going to 0 is positive infinity.

Thank you so much, Rido12! It is all clear now!
Thank you, everyone for help!

Related to Understanding Infinity: Positive vs. Negative Infinity Explained

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" and written as lim f(x) = L, where L is the value the function approaches as its input gets closer to a specific value. In simpler terms, a limit tells us what value a function is approaching as its input gets closer and closer to a particular value.

2. Why are limits important?

Limits are essential in mathematics because they help us understand the behavior of functions and evaluate them at points where they might not be defined. They also allow us to study the continuity and differentiability of functions and are crucial in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, real analysis, and differential equations.

3. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, we need to evaluate the function as its input approaches a particular value. If the function is continuous at that value, the limit will be equal to the function's value at that point. If the function is not continuous at that value, we need to use various techniques, such as algebraic manipulation, L'Hopital's rule, or the squeeze theorem, to evaluate the limit.

4. What are the types of limits?

There are three types of limits: one-sided limits, two-sided limits, and infinite limits. One-sided limits are used when the input approaches the specified value from only one side, either the left or the right. Two-sided limits are used when the input approaches the value from both sides. Infinite limits occur when the value of the function approaches either positive or negative infinity as its input approaches a particular value.

5. How are limits used in the real world?

Limits have various real-world applications, particularly in science and engineering. For example, they are used to model the behavior of physical systems, such as the speed of an object as it approaches a certain point. They are also used in economics to analyze the behavior of markets and make predictions. In addition, limits are crucial in computer science to analyze algorithms' efficiency and performance.