Understanding Integration by Parts

In summary: Then, you can apply the integration by parts theorem to get the equation ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu. Thus, the solution becomes:∫exsin(x)dx=∫ex∫sin(x)dx - ∫[(ex)'∫sin(x)dx]dx=-excos(x) + ∫excos(x)dxwhich is equivalent to the solution obtained using the substitution method.In summary, the integration by parts theorem states that ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu. This can be used to solve integrals by substituting dv with the appropriate function and applying the theorem. The method provided by the professor is equivalent to using the substitution method and
Saterial
Hello.

I'm just trying to understanding something here. I was taught integration by parts by my professor in what looks to be like an untraditional way.

From my understanding, the theorem states:

∫udv = uv - ∫vdu

We were given an example in class of:

∫exsin(x)dx
=∫ex∫sin(x)dx - ∫[(ex)'∫sin(x)dx]dx
=-excos(x) + ∫excos(x)dx

I don't understand how this is the same thing as if I were to use, ex as u and sin(x) as v, since the outcome would then be:

∫exsin(x)dx
=exsin(x)dx - ∫exsin(x)dx

Any help understanding this professors method would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use sin(x) as v, you can only use it as dv. A simple derivation can be given by the product rule:
[tex]d(uv)=u\,dv+v\,du[/tex]
and so, integrating both sides yields
[tex]\int d(uv)=\int u\,dv + \int v\,du[/tex]
Here, the LHS is seen to be equal to uv, and hence this takes the form
[tex]uv=\int u\,dv + \int v\,du[/tex]
in which one can subtract [itex]\displaystyle \int v\,du[/itex] from both sides to obtain
[tex]uv-\int v\,du=\int u\,dv[/tex]
which is the well-known integration by parts.

In your example, one needs to integrate by parts twice to obtain an equation satisfied by the integral which thence can be solved for the integral itself, whereas a simpler method might lie in Euler's formula.

Okay, I understand that.

But also, based on that understanding, how is the method provided by the professor equivalent and yielding the proper answer?

=∫e^x∫sin(x)dx - ∫[(e^x)'∫sin(x)dx]dx

This looks to me like ∫udv - ∫dudv.

The substitution needed is dv = sin(x)dx. I.e. v = ∫sin(x)dx.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to solve integrals that involve products of functions. It involves splitting a complex integral into two simpler parts and using a formula to find the solution.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is useful when you have an integral that involves a product of two functions, and you are unable to solve it using other methods such as substitution or the power rule.

3. How does integration by parts work?

The integration by parts formula is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions and du and dv are their respective differentials. This formula is applied repeatedly until the integral is solved or reduced to a known integral.

4. What is the purpose of integration by parts?

The purpose of integration by parts is to simplify complex integrals that cannot be solved using other methods. It also helps to find the integral of functions that are products of simpler functions.

5. Are there any tips for using integration by parts effectively?

Some tips for using integration by parts effectively include choosing u and v carefully, considering using integration by parts multiple times, and using trigonometric identities to simplify the integrand.