Understanding Isotropic Decay: Solving Jackson's Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of an 'isotropic decay' in the context of a problem from Jackson's. Isotropic decay refers to a decay in which the decay products come out in all angles with the same probability in the Center of Mass frame. This means that the magnitude of spatial and temporal momenta are almost the same for all decay products. However, it is unclear which description is actually meant just from the look of the problem.
dioib
I am trying to solve a problem from Jackson's and it says that the decay in particle's rest frame is more or less isotropic. I was wondering if somebody could help me figure the meaning of an 'isotropic decay' here.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isotropic means all directions are equally likely.

hamster143 said:
Isotropic means all directions are equally likely.

I knew that sense of the term, but that meaning doesn't really help solving the this problem.

I think it should mean of the following:
1- the magnitude of spatial momenta is almost the same for all decay products,
2- the magnitude of temporal momenta (energy) is almost the same for all decay products.

But I can't figure out which description is actually meant just from the look of the problem.

You are talking about magnitudes. As hamster says, the word refers to directions.

The definition as I heard from the instructor is as follows:

A decay is isotropic if it is so in the Center of Mass frame; in the sense that the decay products come out in all angles with the same probability (but of course with fixed relative angles between them imposed by momentum conservation).

Related to Understanding Isotropic Decay: Solving Jackson's Problem

1. What is isotropic decay?

Isotropic decay refers to the gradual decrease in intensity or strength of a signal or field in all directions. It is a common phenomenon in many natural and physical systems.

2. Who is Jackson and what is his problem?

Jackson is a renowned physicist who posed a problem related to understanding the behavior of isotropic decay in electromagnetic fields. His problem has been a subject of interest for many scientists and has led to further research and understanding in this area.

3. What approaches have been used to solve Jackson's problem?

Scientists have used various mathematical and computational techniques, such as Fourier analysis, to solve Jackson's problem. They have also conducted experiments and simulations to study the behavior of electromagnetic fields in different conditions.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding isotropic decay?

Understanding isotropic decay has important applications in various fields, such as telecommunications, optics, and astrophysics. It helps in designing efficient communication systems and studying the behavior of light in different environments.

5. What are the future research directions for solving Jackson's problem?

Scientists are still working on finding a complete and accurate solution to Jackson's problem. Future research may involve exploring new mathematical and computational techniques, as well as conducting more experiments and simulations to understand the underlying mechanisms of isotropic decay.