Understanding K-Map Symbols - Get Help Now!

• Thread starter k31453
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the conversation revolved around using symbols in K-MAP and how to organize the variables. The speaker provided a step-by-step explanation of how to fill in the k-map using the equations and symbols assigned to each variable. The final step is to label the boxes as 1 or 0 based on whether they contain all three symbols or not. The speaker also wished the other person good luck with this technique.
k31453
Hi, below image. My teacher use symbol in K-MAP. But not sure how it uses.

Untitled.png

Myattempt : i got

0 0 0 0
0 0 1 1
0 0 1 1
0 1 1 0 --> Using his technique.

Can somebody help me out ?

Physics news on Phys.org
k31453 said:
Hi, below image. My teacher use symbol in K-MAP. But not sure how it uses.

View attachment 64044

Myattempt : i got

0 0 0 0
0 0 1 1
0 0 1 1
0 1 1 0 --> Using his technique.

Can somebody help me out ?
I'm not sure how you are organizing your variables. But in the figure that you attached, WY represent the columns, and XZ represent the rows.

For example, in the attachment, the first column (the leftmost column) is W'Y'. The second column is W'Y. The third column is WY. And the rightmost column is WY'. Notice they are organized in Gray code.

The unsimplified expression is given to you in the form of product of sums (POS). This is not the more familiar sum of products (SOP) that you want. That's why the variables get used.

There are three terms multiplied together in the original expression,
[tex] f= (X + Y + Z')(W + Z')(W + X' + Y + Z), [/tex]
or putting it another way,
[tex] f = \alpha \beta \gamma [/tex]
where we assign
[tex] \alpha \equiv X + Y + Z' [/tex]
[tex] \beta \equiv W + Z' [/tex]
[tex] \gamma \equiv W + X' + Y + Z. [/tex]

Now here is what we do. Let's start with the equation [itex] \alpha \equiv X + Y + Z' [/itex]. That means [itex] \alpha [/itex] is a 1 whenever X is a 1 OR whenever Y is a 1 OR whenever Z' is a 1 (same as saying Z is 0).

So let's put that into your k-map. We know that [itex] \alpha [/itex] is a 1 whenever X is a 1. X being 1 corresponds to the bottom two rows in the k-map (using the k-map in the attachment). So put an [itex] \alpha [/itex] into each of these eight boxes. Just write the symbol in the corner. We know that [itex] \alpha [/itex] is 1 in each of these boxes because X is 1.

Now do the same thing for Y (the middle two columns). We know that [itex] \alpha [/itex] is 1 in each of these boxes because Y is 1. Write the symbol in the corner of each box if there isn't an [itex] \alpha [/itex] there already.

Repeat for Z' (the top row and the bottom row). We know that [itex] \alpha [/itex] is 1 in each of these boxes because Z' is 1 (same thing as saying Z is 0).

Now move on to the next equation, [itex] \beta \equiv W + Z' [/itex]. Write a [itex] \beta [/itex] symbol in each box corresponding to W, and again for each box corresponding to Z'

Do you get the idea? Finally finish up by doing the same sort of thing with [itex] \gamma \equiv W + X' + Y + Z. [/itex]

So now the table is filled in with a bunch of symbols. Recall,
[tex] f = \alpha \beta \gamma. [/tex]
In other words, f is 1 if [itex] \alpha [/itex] is 1 AND if [itex] \beta [/itex] is 1 AND if [itex] \gamma [/itex] is 1.

So from the k-map, f is 1 in any given box only if that box contains all three symbols, [itex] \alpha [/itex], [itex] \beta [/itex] and [itex] \gamma [/itex]. So that's where you label each box 1 or 0. If a box has all three symbols in it, label it a 1. Otherwise it's a 0.

Now make your circles in the standard way. Good luck! :smile:

What are K-Map symbols and how do they work?

K-Map symbols are graphical representations of Boolean expressions used in digital logic design. They are used to simplify Boolean expressions and create logic diagrams. K-Maps work by grouping adjacent cells with a common variable to identify patterns and reduce the number of terms in a Boolean expression.

What are the benefits of using K-Maps in digital logic design?

There are several benefits of using K-Maps in digital logic design. They help to simplify Boolean expressions, reduce the number of terms, and identify any redundant terms. K-Maps also provide a visual representation of the logic, making it easier to understand and troubleshoot.

How do I read and interpret K-Map symbols?

To read and interpret K-Map symbols, you must first understand the basic symbols used. The 'X' symbol represents a cell with an unknown value, '0' represents a cell with a value of 0, and '1' represents a cell with a value of 1. Grouping these cells together with a common variable helps to simplify the Boolean expression. Additionally, K-Maps follow the same rules as Boolean algebra, with the exception that diagonal groups are not allowed.

What are the limitations of K-Maps?

While K-Maps are a useful tool in digital logic design, they do have some limitations. K-Maps can only be used for Boolean expressions with up to six variables and cannot handle expressions with more than one output. Additionally, K-Maps can become quite complex and difficult to read when dealing with large numbers of variables.

How can I get help with understanding K-Map symbols?

If you need help understanding K-Map symbols, there are several resources available. You can consult online tutorials and videos, seek assistance from a colleague or mentor, or reach out to a professional digital logic designer for guidance. Additionally, many textbooks and online courses cover the topic in-depth and can provide a thorough understanding of K-Map symbols.