Understand Limits: Why Does ∞1=lim n→∞ (n+1/n-1)?

• I
  • Thread starter Jarvis88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation is about evaluating the limit of ##\frac{n+1}{n-1}## as n approaches infinity, which is not an indeterminate form. The correct way to evaluate the limit is by simplifying the expression to 1 and taking the limit, which results in a value of 1. The confusion may have arisen because the limit of ##\left(\frac{n+1}{n-1}\right)^{n}##, which was mistakenly used in the conversation, does approach the indeterminate form of 1∞ as n approaches infinity. However, using L'Hopital's rule to evaluate this limit leads to a value of e^2, not 1.
Jarvis88
I'm trying to understand why the ## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}
( \displaystyle \frac {n+1}{n-1} )
## equals the indeterminate form 1?

I ask because we have started going over sequences and it was used as an example. I understand how to go from here- taking the ln of both sides and using L'Hopital's rule to get the limit of e2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you write down what you teacher said in full. I have no idea what is going on.

The standard way to evaluate the limit is just observe ##\frac{n+1}{n-1} = \frac{n-1+2}{n-1} = 1 + \frac2{n-1}## and then it becomes obvious.

Edit: alternative ##\frac{n+1}{n-1} = \frac{1+n^{-1}}{1-n^{-1}}## and then apply limit laws. Again the limit is 1.

pwsnafu said:
Could you write down what you teacher said in full. I have no idea what is going on.

We were discussing using L'Hopital's rule for indeterminate forms to evaluate the sequence below. I just don't understand how that limit is
1. I guess I'm still fuzzy on how to figure out limits?

20170206_225627.png

Oh, the limit you want to evalute is ##\left(\frac{n+1}{n-1}\right)^{n}## and not ##\frac{n+1}{n-1}##. Yes that's ##1^\infty## indeterminate form.
This is what happens when students do it naively:

##\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\frac{n+1}{n-1}\right)^{n} = \left(\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{n+1}{n-1}\right)^{\lim_{n\to\infty} n} = \left(1+\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac2{n-1}\right)^{\lim_{n\to\infty} n} = 1^\infty##.

Likes Jarvis88
pwsnafu said:
Oh, the limit you want to evalute is ##\left(\frac{n+1}{n-1}\right)^{n}## and not ##\frac{n+1}{n-1}##. Yes that's ##1^\infty## indeterminate form.
This is what happens when students do it naively:

##\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\frac{n+1}{n-1}\right)^{n} = \left(\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{n+1}{n-1}\right)^{\lim_{n\to\infty} n} = \left(1+\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac2{n-1}\right)^{\lim_{n\to\infty} n} = 1^\infty##.
Thank you so much for the explanation!

Jarvis88 said:
I'm trying to understand why the ## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}
( \displaystyle \frac {n+1}{n-1} )
## equals the indeterminate form 1?
It doesn't. The limit here, which apparently isn't the one you really meant to ask about, is 1.
##\lim_{n \to \infty}\frac{n + 1}{n - 1} = \lim_{n \to \infty}\frac n n \frac{1 + 1/n}{1 - 1/n} = 1##
For any finite value of n, n/n is 1, and as n gets larger, the other fraction approaches 1 in value, making the limit equal to 1.
Jarvis88 said:
I ask because we have started going over sequences and it was used as an example. I understand how to go from here- taking the ln of both sides and using L'Hopital's rule to get the limit of e2.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value, but may never actually reach.

2. How is a limit evaluated?

A limit is evaluated by plugging in values that are very close to the desired input and observing the resulting output values. If the output values approach a specific value, then that value is the limit. If the output values do not approach a specific value, then the limit does not exist.

3. What does ∞1 represent in the given equation?

In the equation ∞1=lim n→∞ (n+1/n-1), ∞1 represents the limit as n approaches infinity. This means that the function being evaluated will approach a specific value as n gets larger and larger.

4. Why is the limit of (n+1/n-1) equal to ∞1?

The limit of (n+1/n-1) is equal to ∞1 because as n approaches infinity, the denominator (n-1) becomes insignificant compared to the numerator (n+1). This means that the function essentially becomes n/n, which approaches 1 as n gets larger. Therefore, the limit is equal to ∞1.

5. What is the significance of understanding limits in mathematics?

Understanding limits is crucial in mathematics because it allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and determine their values at certain points. It also helps us to understand the concept of infinity and how functions can approach or reach infinity. Limits are used in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus and analysis, and are essential for solving complex problems and proving theorems.