Amplitude and Vibrations in Springs

In summary, using the given values for amplitude, mass, and force constant, the maximum elastic potential energy of the system is 0.46J. The speed of the mass when its position is 7.4cm from the equilibrium point is 2.78m/s. The maximum speed of the mass is 3.3m/s.
RoyceB

Homework Statement

The amplitude of vibration of a mass on a horizontal spring experiencing SHM is = 0.13m. The mass is 85g and the force constant is 55N/m. a) What is the maximum elastic potential energy of the system. b) Find the speed of the mass when it's position is x = 7.4cm from the equilibrium point. c) What is it's maximum speed?

A = 0.13m
m = 0.085Kg
k = 55N/m
Δx = 0.074m

Homework Equations

Ee = ½k(Δx)2
Ek = ½mv2
Fx = -kΔx
T = 2π√(m/k)
Fc = mv2 / A[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a)

For this I simply used the Ee equation and solved for it. I used 0.13m as the amplitude as I figured this is the furthest the spring could stretch out.
Ee = ½k(Δx)2[/B]
Ee = ½55N/m(0.13)2
Ee = 0.46J

b)

This one I solved for T, used the force equation and the Fc equation to solve for speed.

T = 2π√(m/k)
T = 2π√(0.086/55)
T = 0.25s

Fx = -kΔx
Fx = -55(0.074)
Fx = 4.07N

Fc = mv2 / A
Fc = (0.086)v2 / 0.13
v = 2.5m/s

c) I am kind of lost and thought of making Ee = Ek but would like some assistance.

Also if you could proof check my answers and tell me any errors as I assume my entire b) part maybe wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer for b is a bit off. Probably rounding errors. You could retain more digits during the calculation, but I would solve it using energy. How much elastic PE is lost in going from max extension to 7.4cm.?
RoyceB said:
Fc = (0.086)v2 / 0.13
v = 2.5m/s

c) I am kind of lost and thought of making Ee = Ek but would like some assistance.
If you mean that the max of the one equals the max of the other, yes. Can you turn that into an equation for the max speed?

haruspex said:
Your answer for b is a bit off. Probably rounding errors. You could retain more digits during the calculation, but I would solve it using energy. How much elastic PE is lost in going from max extension to 7.4cm.?

If you mean that the max of the one equals the max of the other, yes. Can you turn that into an equation for the max speed?

Well for b what if I made Ee = Ek' + Ee' and if Ee on the left side is equilibrium then the it could equal and I could move the other one over and solve for that point. Basically making Ek = Ee.

For c if it is at it's furthest point and highest speed could it be Ee = Ek but at a greater distance for x, like the 0.13m?

RoyceB said:
Well for b what if I made Ee = Ek' + Ee' and if Ee on the left side is equilibrium then the it could equal and I could move the other one over and solve for that point. Basically making Ek = Ee.

For c if it is at it's furthest point and highest speed could it be Ee = Ek but at a greater distance for x, like the 0.13m?
Since you have not defined exactly what you mean by those different energies, I cannot be sure whether you have that right.
It cannot be both at its furthest point and highest speed. When the one is max the other is min. Maybe that's not what you meant.

How about you just post attempts using what you wrote?

So for c I decided at it's highest speed, Ee could equal 0 and for the other side I have Ee at it's highest and Ek = 0 so I ended up with.
Ee = Ek
½mv2 = ½k(Δx)2
½(0.085)v2 = ½(0.13)2(55)
v = 3.3m/s

b)

I made Ee + Ek = Ee' + Ek' and for the beginning I had it equal zero for both when it is not moving so I ended up with.
0 = Ee' + Ek'

Ee = -Ek
½mv2 = ½k(Δx)2
½(0.085)v2 = ½(55)(Δ0.074)2
v = 1.88m/s

Is that what you mean and it is similar for both of determining the energies.

Actually how about this for it.

a)
Ee = 0.46J

b)

Ee + Ek = Ee (max)
Ee (max) - Ee (at x = 0.074m) = Ek
½(55)(0.13)2 - ½(55)(0.074)2 = ½(0.085)(v2)
v = 2.78m/s

c)

Ek = Et
½mv2 = Et
½(0.085)(v2) = 0.46J
v = 3.3m/s

RoyceB said:
Actually how about this for it.

a)
Ee = 0.46J

b)

Ee + Ek = Ee (max)
Ee (max) - Ee (at x = 0.074m) = Ek
½(55)(0.13)2 - ½(55)(0.074)2 = ½(0.085)(v2)
v = 2.78m/s

c)

Ek = Et
½mv2 = Et
½(0.085)(v2) = 0.46J
v = 3.3m/s
Looks good.

1. What is amplitude in relation to vibrations in springs?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement or distance from the equilibrium position that a spring experiences during a vibration. It is a measurement of the strength or intensity of the vibration.

2. How is amplitude related to the stiffness of a spring?

The amplitude of a vibration in a spring is directly proportional to the stiffness of the spring. This means that a stiffer spring will have a larger amplitude, while a more flexible spring will have a smaller amplitude.

3. What is the relationship between mass and amplitude in a vibrating spring system?

The mass of an object attached to a spring affects the amplitude of the vibrations. A larger mass will result in a smaller amplitude, while a smaller mass will result in a larger amplitude. This is because a larger mass requires more force to be displaced, resulting in a smaller amplitude.

4. How do frequency and amplitude relate to each other in a vibrating spring system?

The frequency of a vibration in a spring refers to the number of complete oscillations or cycles that occur in a given time period. The amplitude of the vibration is directly proportional to the frequency, meaning that a higher frequency will result in a larger amplitude and vice versa.

5. Can the amplitude of a vibrating spring be changed?

Yes, the amplitude of a vibrating spring can be changed by altering the mass or stiffness of the spring. Additionally, the amplitude can be changed by adjusting the frequency of the vibration or by applying an external force to the system.