Understanding Percentile Calculation: Confusion and Clarification

In summary, there are different definitions of percentile, and the one used in the first video is the same as the one learned in the pre-university education course. The first video calculates the percentile using the formula (value of current number + value of next number) / 2, while the second video calculates the percentile using the second number as the representative of the percentage and the third number as the actual percentile. However, it is important to clarify which definition of percentile is being used, as different sources may provide different definitions. The chosen definition should be consistent with the one used in the textbook or course notes.
tzx9633

Homework Statement

I am confused between these 2 videos .

In the first videos , it's same as what i learned in pre-university education course .

When we are calculating kth percentile , the value that we get is whole number , then we need to the use (the value of the current number + value of the next number ) /2

Whereas in the 2nd video , when we are calulating the 20th percentile from 10 number , it's the 2nd number that represent 20% . So , the 20th percentile is the 3rd number , which make sense too .
Because percentile is defined as the percentage of data which is below the value

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.dummies.com/education/math/statistics/how-to-calculate-percentiles-in-statistics/

In this link , it's clear that the first video is correct .
I also learned this in pre-u courses . So , i think 2nd video is wrong .

Can someone clarify ?

Physics news on Phys.org
tzx9633 said:

Homework Statement

I am confused between these 2 videos .

In the first videos , it's same as what i learned in pre-university education course .

When we are calculating kth percentile , the value that we get is whole number , then we need to the use (the value of the current number + value of the next number ) /2

Whereas in the 2nd video , when we are calulating the 20th percentile from 10 number , it's the 2nd number that represent 20% . So , the 20th percentile is the 3rd number , which make sense too .
Because percentile is defined as the percentage of data which is below the value

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://www.dummies.com/education/math/statistics/how-to-calculate-percentiles-in-statistics/

In this link , it's clear that the first video is correct .
I also learned this in pre-u courses . So , i think 2nd video is wrong .

Can someone clarify ?

There are different "definitions" of percentile, and different books use may use different definitions. For example, the Wikipedia article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percentile
states that
"There is no standard definition of percentile,[2][3][4] however all definitions yield similar results when the number of observations is very large and the probability distribution is continuous.[5] In the limit, as the sample size approaches infinity, the 100pth percentile (0<p<1) approximates the inverse of the cumulative distribution function (CDF) thus formed, evaluated at p, as p approximates the CDF. "

Which definition of percentile does your textbook (or course notes) use? That is the one you should use also.

1. What is a percentile?

A percentile is a measure used in statistics to indicate the value below which a given percentage of observations in a group of data fall. In other words, it is a way to rank data points in a set from lowest to highest.

2. How is percentile calculated?

To calculate a percentile, the data set is first sorted in ascending order. Then, the desired percentage (or percentile) is multiplied by the total number of data points. If the result is not a whole number, the next higher whole number is used as the index. The data point at this index is the desired percentile.

3. What is the difference between percentile and percentage?

Percentile is a measure of relative position within a group of data, while percentage is a measure of proportion or rate. For example, if a child scores in the 70th percentile on a test, it means they scored higher than 70% of the other students. However, if they scored a 70%, it means they got 70% of the questions correct.

4. Can a data point have a percentile of 100?

No, a data point cannot have a percentile of 100. Percentile is always calculated as a percentage of the total number of data points, so the highest possible percentile is 99.9%. A data point with a percentile of 100 would mean it is higher than 100% of the other data points, which is not possible.

5. How can percentiles be used in data analysis?

Percentiles are useful for understanding the distribution of a data set and identifying outliers. They can also be used to compare individual data points to a group, or to track changes in a data set over time. Additionally, percentiles can be used to set benchmarks or goals for performance in various fields, such as education or healthcare.