Understanding Phonons - Making Sense of Virtual Particles

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phonons
In summary, phonons are virtual particles that result from emergent properties of underlying forces, similar to how photons can be considered phonons resulting from underlying electromagnetic waves. Phonons are considered as packets of vibrations in matter and can be acoustical or optical, with different modes such as longitudinal or transverse. They can also interact with electromagnetic fields.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm making my way through 'The Trouble with Physics' and am getting my head around phonons.

It sounds to me like
- phonons are a sort of virtual particle that results from emergent properties of the underlying forces
- (IMHO) photons-as-particles could be considered phonons resulting from the underlying electromagnetic wave (thus the dual nature of light)
- (IMHO) the current flow in a wire in the positive direction (i.e. opposite the movement of electrons) is actually a moving "electron hole", and this moving positive charge can be considered as a (positively-charged) phonon particle.

Am I barking mad?

Physics news on Phys.org
I always thought that phonons where just a quantumized form of vibrations in matter. In other words, packets of vibrations, just like photons can be thought of as packets of EM waves.

Ah. OK, so it's limited to sound-like propogation. That does gel with what the book was saying, I was over-enthusiastic.

More precisely: sound-like propagation is only a particular kind. Phonons are linkened to vibrations but these can be acustical or optical. You find difference in a bi-atomic chain in which vibrations take place in-phase or out of phase. Modes can be longitudinal or transverse. Phonons are optical with an interaction with em field occurs.

Related to Understanding Phonons - Making Sense of Virtual Particles

1. What are phonons and how do they relate to virtual particles?

Phonons are quasiparticles that represent the collective vibrational energy of atoms in a solid material. They are similar to virtual particles in that they are not actual particles, but rather mathematical constructs used to describe physical phenomena. In the case of phonons, they are used to explain the movement of energy through a solid material.

2. How are phonons created and detected?

Phonons are created through the thermal energy of atoms vibrating in a solid material. They can be detected using various techniques such as neutron scattering, Raman spectroscopy, and inelastic x-ray scattering. These methods allow scientists to observe the vibrations of atoms and determine the characteristics of phonons.

3. What is the significance of understanding phonons?

Understanding phonons is important because they play a crucial role in the thermal, mechanical, and electrical properties of materials. By studying phonons, scientists can gain insights into how materials behave and how they can be manipulated for various applications. This knowledge can also lead to the development of new materials with desired properties.

4. Can phonons be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, phonons can be controlled and manipulated through various methods such as applying external forces or changing the temperature of a material. This can alter the properties of the material, such as its thermal conductivity or electrical resistance. Manipulating phonons is an active area of research and has potential applications in fields such as thermoelectrics and phononic devices.

5. How do phonons contribute to our understanding of quantum mechanics?

Phonons are an important concept in quantum mechanics as they demonstrate the wave-particle duality of matter. They are considered quasiparticles because they exhibit both particle-like and wave-like behavior, similar to virtual particles. Studying phonons can also provide insights into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as energy quantization and quantum entanglement.